Depression-something more?

bby31288

Hi all, I have been reading daily but not posting much. My depression is getting the best of me.

I have a need some opinions. I have suffered from depression for many years, I now take prozac and have for quite some time. Thru the years the Dr. has changed prescriptions saying that Prozac was antiquated, but it was what worked for me and we always returned to it.

I seemed to have noticed that the prozac will be working fine and then for a few weeks the depression gets almost unbearable, I call it in my funk. Usually a few weeks pass and I snap out of it.

Do you think there could be something more working on during these "cycles" when the prozac doesn't seem to help? Bi-Polar is not in my family, although depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is.

Just wanted some thoughts to see if I should pursue it further with a Dr. I don't need to tell you that Psyc doctors are hard to come by and my insurance stinks. Between difficult children doctor appts and now easy child's psyc appts there isn't much time or money.

Any information would be helpful.

N

Nomad

I DID read a study that showed that Prozac is really not all that effective. Some think it may only work on a smalll percentage of folks. Mind you, I recall when Prozac first came out everyone was singing its praises. I do think that the tricyclics works pretty well, but folks are not all that crazy about the fact that they can cause a little weight gain, constipation and dry mouth.

Personally, I think it takes a multi-faceted approach to tackle depression. It is a tough bugger. So, medication is only a small part of of the equation. Talk therapy can really help. Forcing oneself to get in a little exercise is good. Sometimes, this might mean only ten minutes a day. It's hard not to compare ourselves to others, but we have to look at ourselves as individuals with individual health issues (and this includes our mental state as well). So, ten minutes might be a lot for one person and something to feel celebrated.

Self care, including all the physical things comes into the equation. That would mean getting enough rest, drinking plenty of water, taking vitamins and getting to bed on time.

Do little kind things for yourself. Buy yourself some flowers. Take a long bath. Buy yourself a little treat....these are all things you would do for a friend who was not feeling welll.

Depression might mean that you have anger or confusion or a chemical imbalance or anxiety or some sort of combination of these things or something else. It will take time and nurturance to sort it all out. Please give yourself the time for this to happen.

If you have not had a good medical check up in the last six months, or if you have had other symptoms of any kind, I would get yourself to the doctor. Otherwise, I would try to work on the depression symptoms to see if things get better. If not, then I would look to medical reasons as to why things are not improving. Certain things like hormones, thyroid, etc. can lead to depression.

Wishing you peace, health and restoration.

witzend

Are those two weeks the weeks surrounding your periods? You could have PMDD, and it needs to be treated separately from your depression.

bby31288

Thanks for your replies. Witz, I am not sure if it surrounding my periods. As I am peri-menopausal and my periods are all out of whack. Sometimes twice a month sometimes none for two months.

But you did give me the idea of tracking when it starts, peaks and seems to end. Like this weekend I spent the entire time that I did not "have" to be up in bed. I feel bad for husband and the girls. My difficult child is like you are laying down again. My older easy child just says shut up. husband is getting fed up after doing all of the laundry, washing drying folding, that I didn't do all week. And youngest easy child vacuumed for me because she couldn't stand it anymore! LOL.

I thank god I have a job, because I have to get up and get ready to come to work. I was a nano second away of calling out of work today and letting my kids stay home from school because I didn't want to get out of bed.

I have tried Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin XR, Effexor XR, Celexa. But when I am feeling well the Prozac helps.

witzend

Oh, my PMS has gotten way worse the more menopausal I get. It takes all my effort sometimes to control my temper and mood. I don't know if it's PMDD, but I'm sure it's hormonal.

bby31288

Then I guess its time to see my GYN. Haven't been in ohh about 8 years. Reg. dr did the hormon check quite some time ago and discovered the peri-menopause.