Detach / Don't Detach

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think the Like buttons are disabled in the "serious" forums. Which is good.

I agree, Janet's got a great idea.

DammitJanet

jjj...I have a word retrieval problem and a memory issue...I can never get words out when I need them so everyone, you guys included, get to play "guess the word" sometimes....lol.

Cheerwyn

Welcome "out", Cheerwyn. Glad to see you. Actually I was thinking the same thing. In such a dysfunctional "family" it might really add pressure to the child's life. I guess it's a toss up but somehow with such strange family dynamics in her home she "could" end up burdened beyond her capacity by even contributing adult ideas. It's a strange situation and sounds like a darned if you do and darned if you don't time.

I was also wondering if she is mature enough to safely learn how to cook with her Grandma. If she is coordinated and bright it "might" be possible for her to learn how to cook rice, beans, etc. at Grandma's house for fun. My gd's enjoy spending time in the kitchen with me alone...BUT...even sharing cooking might not be right for certain kids. My youngest gd and one gs are too impulsive for me to feel safe about them cooking alone. The lazy parents might like it, however, since they don't do much. Quandry. on the other hand, if it is workable, she could learn a basic or two and then be allowed to take those items home with her. Kinda like arts and crafts? DDD

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I love your idea of teaching Kayla to cook a few staple items. It gives her some skills to help herself and her siblings, and also gives some good one-on-one conversation opportunities. Sitting in the kitchen, baking/cooking, are always great times to discuss things.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ohh, Janet thanks I forgot about that! I'll give them a call.

I took them food, nothing fancy. Pasta and sauce, hot dogs, hamburger helper, some soup that will expire soon, a few cans of the chef boyardee, vienna sausage, corn chex (forgot the oatmeal will give it to her sunday) corn bread, 2 cases of ramen noodles (no sweat had them since last winter and cheap to restock), macaroni, a brick of velveeta-generic sort, found the cookie mixes she bought at easter in my baking goods cabinet so added those. Enough to easily make it 2 wks if she watches it and they don't try to eat it all at once. Added in a bottle of shampoo, a bottle of shower gel, 3 things of ban deodorant (husband got free several yrs ago) a tube of toothpaste, and lotion as the grands all have husband's skin issues. All of that I gave her didn't cost me a dime, so figured might as well have clean grandkids too. Ban deodorant I HATE with a passion........I was glad to give that away. lol

The utter shock on katie's face was not faked. She knew I was bringing the kid's birthday presents when I picked up kayla, she had no clue I was bringing food. The pure joy both presents and food brought to the grandkids was worth it, well worth it.

And tonight I picked up the grandkids each a book bag (times 3 now cuz Evan goes to kindergarden), pens, pencils, filler paper, rulers, crayons, and folders. Everything except the crayons that were a quarter cost me nothing. Not a dime. I will add that to what I got at Staples and what I get there on sunday. I am sooo proud of myself. I worked hard on that using my coupons, sales AND my walgreens register rewards. And I did it all by myself because easy child wasn't up to shopping tonight. Yay me!

Makes me feel good. So I'm not gonna think about the parents right now too much. Just going to bask in the glow of getting to do something nana-ish for them and doing it so well I got all but the crayons for free. :bigsmile:

Had a nice visit with kayla. She had fun playing with the boys too and was very grateful supper was included in the visit. I told her soon as easy child is in the boot I'll be coming to get her more often so I can teach her to crochet and she wants to help me with my gardening ect. I'll have to find a way to even that up with the boys that it doesn't drive me nuts. lol