Detox again...

T

toughlovin

Hi all,

I just got a call from my difficult child... he is in some detox. Thinks it is a horrible place and wondered if the insurance would pay for a better place where they know what they are doing. He admitted he needs to be detoxed off opiates (he said percosets). So he talked to someone and they got him to this place and now he wants to go somewhere better. I told him he could call another place and give him the insurance info and see what they could do. I did NOT offer to call anybody, just told him what to do. I did try to talk to him and we did talk some and then he got tired of the conversation and clearly it is not the best place to talk. He does not want to do 30 days but he does want to detox.... does admit that at least he has a problem when he is in a recovery community because he keeps getting kicked out!!! Not ready it seems to totally admit that he has an overall problem with drugs and alcohol.

However in my view, in his slow way of getting there, and his tendancy to fight all that is good for him, this is one more small step in the right direction. He does admit there are a whole host of issues adn it is not all about drugs and alcohol and he does want to live his life differently (but I think he still thinks he can deal with his other issues and then he will be able to drink again).

But at least for tonight I know he is someplace, and alive... so i may sleep better tonight... oh except I have to get up at 2am to take my daughter to school to leave for a trip to Disney.... well I will get two good nights sleep I guess.

TL

rejectedmom

TL, I am glad he is a detox. I hope it is indeed a small step in the right direction. From what you say I am not sure he is ready for the whole deal though. Especially if he is already complaining and wanting to move. It doesn't seem he is really invested yet and maybe only wanted to get off the street for a while? I hope I am reading that wrong. does he complain even when he is going to do something? Did you get any sence that there has been a change in his attitude? Any real indication or feeling that he comming out of denial? I pray for him to work a program from start to finish and beyond.

So nice that you will be able to get a good sleep tonight and only get up for a normal and happy event for your easy child.

Nancy

Yes he is safe for tonight and that's good. Perks is a big thing around here, a lot of the addicts are using them. I hope this small step leads to others. It's amazing how they think they can detox and go back to the same thing.

Sleep well.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

RM - I don't think he is ready for the whole deal yet.... I think he is at a place for people with nothing so of course it is not as nice as the places paid for by insurance!! A taste of the real world. My feeling is if insurance will pay for it fine, if not then he will have to deal with it. I don't think given where he is at I am willing to pay any more out of pocket.

I think he may slowly be getting worn down at least I hope so. He may be looking for a way off the streets... and it may be he is feeling withdrawal symptoms and no drugs and so wants help with that. This is the first time he has said he needs detox...

This time I did nothing at all to encourage him or get him there. This was all on his own so that is all good.

But yeah realistically I have no confidence that this is it for him, I think there will be a next time.

TL

S

Signorina

he's been taking so many small steps towards bottom - crossing my fingers that he has hit it. He realized he needs help - positive sign. {{{hugs}}}

bby31288

I'm glad he is at detox. It's not easy! Opiates are very difficult to come off of. At the worst you would do anything for just 1 pill to make the pain from withdrawal go away. I am hoping the are taking good care of him. The detox can hopefully ease those feelings!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
It sounds encouraging, he seems to be seeing some light.............for you it's the ups and downs and sideways...........I am sending prayers and hope for calmer waters to float easily in...............some peace and some smiles along the way............and a good, deep, long nights sleep.

TL: It is a positive step for your difficult child that he realized that he needs detox. He is taking baby steps forward, but at least he is moving toward a life without drugs. I am sending prayers for your difficult child that this is the start of much better things for him. HUGS...

rejectedmom

The fact that he asked someone for help and checked into this place is definately a step foward. As is his admission that he needs help with detox. Why he wants to go back to using any substance after going through all this is beyond my non- addicted comprehension but I know it happens. I have seen my son do the same thing. I did not mean to be a "negative Annie" I just didn't want you to get hurt yet again. You have been through so much trying to get him sober and healthy. I do hope you slept well last night and that you daughter is safely off on her fun trip. -RM

T

toughlovin

LOL don't worry about being a "negative Annie"... much better than pollyanna at this point. I think some part of him may know that using major drugs is not working for him (not sure of that) but he definitely seems to think that at some point he can drink moderately and even get plastered once in a while with his friends.

I realized last night that if insurance does not cover this round of detox that I need to let him suffer through where he is. He was edgy on the phone and that was probably due to the withdrawel... and maybe they are not making this process as comfortable and maybe that is not such a bad thing.

But yes I did sleep well last night in my two sets of sleep.... and I got my daughter off on her trip just fine and they have landed so all is well.

TL

Nancy

but he definitely seems to think that at some point he can drink moderately and even get plastered once in a while with his friends.

That's exactly what difficult child told my husband a few weeks ago when she confessed she was no longer sober. It's not just a slippery slope, it's an landslide.

I'm glad easy child got there OK. Our hs band just came back from there. I miss those days when difficult child was actually a part of something good in hs.

Nancy