Developing teenage social interactions

Nate

I have a 15 year old daughter, that over the past year has lost many of her long standing friendships, through her attantion to her boyfriend and our involvement, or lack thereof, in high school sports politics. She is a very strong academic student, currently taking 3 AP courses as a sophmore and sitting for the ACT, SAT and PSAT tests this fall. We are a couple that does not do many things outside of the family and so do not have a very wide social network. We both are very selective of whom we allow into our lives. This is part of the problem. My question is: "How do we help her develop new friendships and social relations, when we don't have the time to do it ourselves?"

witzend

Welcome, Nate. Maybe she could join some of the after school clubs that relate to her interests? It's early in the year so there should be lots of things getting organized that would be a good fit for her.

AllStressedOut

I think getting her involved in some school activities is a great idea. If you attend church, maybe a youth group? What if you looked into volunteering opportunities in your community? Our city has a web page that you can visit and a volunteering opportunities list, maybe yours does too?

LittleDudesMom

Hi Nate.

I agree with the posters above that joining some after school clubs in a great way to broaden her social circle. By her age, we parents pretty much take a backseat to their socialization - they usually do well enough on their own!!!!!!

Have her find some clubs through some of the classes she really enjoys. My 16 yo daughter loves photography so she joined that club and also is going to be joining DECA, a national association for marketing students. Through after school clubs and activities, she has definately gotten to know a lot more kids.

I also like the youth group idea. It's a great place for kids to feel safe and talk about their weeks while doing some social activity monitored by adults.

Another idea would be for her to get a part time job. If she has time during the week, or on the weekends, she could work maybe four or six hours. It would allow her to meet people and also a great responsibility builder.

Sharon