Diaper Rash Solutions?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
B u t t Paste. easy child swears by it.

This rash sounds eerily familiar to what Travis had at the same age. I went through ever OTC product on the market as I was rapidly growing desperate, the rash was painful and not responding no matter how clean I kept Travis. I tried switching diapers both brand and back to cloth. I even let him run around naked hoping sunlight would dry it out. He saw 4 pediatrician docs for it. NOT ONE knew what to do. Or even suggested yeast infection.

Step Mom told me she had a family remedy but it stunk to high heaven (she wasn't kidding either). So she cooked up a batch for Travis' fanny. Cleared him right up, although I couldn't stand being in the same room with him without my nose pinched shut.

B u t t Paste vaguely has a hint of that smell, I wonder if it shares some ingredients. I know it works for easy child. Still, she needs to get that yeast infection cleared up.

Aubrey had it too, exact same rash.......pediatrician doctor didn't dream yeast infection until I suggested it, then was like OH yeah!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I babysat a little boy in diapers a million years ago and he always had a SEVERE rash - they kind with broken skin. I only had him twice a week for 12 hours, so the rest of the time he was with mom/dad. Then one week I had him for 5 days straight. By the fifth day his rash was cleared and healing. The trick, besides the obvious of changing often and putting Desitin/A&D ointment?

Water. Yep, I had him drink water with his meals and cut his bottles of juice with half water. His urine and feces were too strong for his sensitive baby hiney. Water helped clear it up. That, and air.

When easy child was an infant she developed a little rash on her hiney. I was young and didn't know what to do. My mom stepped in. She made real oatmeal and when it was done, she skimmed off that sticky guey stuff from the top into a bowl. She laid easy child down on the bed and gently dabbed that stuff onto easy child's dry hiney and within two days it was clear again. Nothing else for every diaper change for two days and it cleared right up. It also works great for baby acne!

Those are my homegrown hints. I think putting too many strong products on baby skin is risky and may actually exacerbate the problem rather than clear it up. Sometimes putting nothing on it best.

DDD

Wow what a wide range of suggestions. I'll pass them on to her. Never thought about yeast infection. Thanks. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Oats are amazing for skin, aren't they? Letting the baby play in the tub for a bit with oats in the water is excellent for skin problems. Aveeno makes those packets but they cost a fortune, in my opinion. I always put regular or quick cooking oats (NOT the instant kind in the packets) into the foot of a knee high or old sock and put that in the water. You or the baby can squish it around and hold it under the faucet as the water fills the tub. It works just as well as aveeno and costs next to nothing.

If you don't want to mess with the sock, toss 1/4 c of oats (or more,no real specific amount) into the blender or food processor and grind them up into powder. Then pour that into the bath water. My kids just liked to play with that squishy sock, lol.

busywend

I was going to say BUTT PASTE as well. I hear people raving about it - of course I have no need for it! LOL! At least not until my difficult child has a little one - 10 years from now. (fingers crossed!)

Pink Elephant

Most of the things I did have already been mentioned, but one thing that helped a lot related to my children's discomfort when they had a diaper rash, was not using rubber pants.

Yes, I used cloth diapers (always), so rubber pants were part-and-parcel to diaper-wearing in our house, but dropping the use of those old heat and rash-inducing pants used to calm the rash and help start the healing process.

Also, at change-time, when no rubber pants were being used, there was no elastics to irritate the rash, but let me tell you, when they were wearing rubber pants, as soon as I'd pull the rubber pants down off of the diapers at change-time, they'd start-a wailing, especially if the rash extended beyond their confines of their diapers where the elasticized leg holes of the rubber pants naturally sat around their thighs.

Also kept a few pairs of rubber pants that had holes in them (I used either the end of a sharpened pencil or my cigarette to make the holes), and those rubber pants helped keep their bottoms cooler, because they helped let heat out and air in.

Double diapering also helped keep my kids bottoms drier, because there was more layers of fabric to absorb the wetness, however, come nighttime, back on went the rubber pants.

Call me old-fashioned, but this traditional momma liked using rubber pants. I swore by those old rubber pants, mind you I'm sure most mothers my age lived by the same.

Oh... and I used to use browned flour and cornstarch as diapering powder, along with Desitin and Diaperene. Oh, and, hanging the diapers and rubber pants outside on the line in the sun to dry helped disinfect them and kill bacteria.

Also remember adding a cup of regular household white vinegar to the diaper wash (final rinse cycle) every few weeks, which helped balance the pH level in the diapers. Less diaper rash in our house when I started using vinegar.

Last edited: