Did any of you EVER get this feeling?

Valentine

I get the feeling they think its my household that is causing difficult child to act the way he does. So now instead of a treatment facility they want him in a foster home:sad-very:. The therapist said its because he wants him close so we can all recieve counseling. I am so in utter shock!!

DammitJanet

I think many of us have felt or thought that people were blaming us for our kids problems. I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that probably what they are suggesting is that your son go into a treatment foster home because he isnt safe to go back into your home but they want him close enough so that your whole family can get therapy and treatment.

Really, when you have a child as ill as your son is, the whole family is in need of treatment. He had to have an effect on your other kids. It had to have been scary to them. You need to learn different ways to parent him. Not that the way you parent is wrong, but he needs different methods than the way you parent everyone else. Just the way it goes. He needs to learn new skills too. He needs to be away from home while he does this and while they make sure all his new medications work.

It is really hard. I know it. I went through it too.

It will get better.

Hugs.

smallworld

I agree with Janet.

Our son is in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in Utah. Even though no one is blaming us for our son's emotional issues, my husband and I attend family therapy over the phone every week and go out to Utah every 8 to 10 weeks for two days of parent workshops to learn how to parent our son better. Kids with emotional issues do need a different kind of parenting, and it doesn't always come intuitively.

Hang in there.