Did anyone see Intervention last night?

F

flutterbee

I've been recording that show this season. I've seen it here and there in the past.

I will admit, because of my family history I typically don't have much sympathy for an active addict. The addicts in my family are all extremely egocentric and all about "what more can you do for me". That's just who they are, whether using or not. And I guess that I tend to think of all addicts that way. It's all I know.

I watch the show always hoping that the addict will work the program and get better, but it's not hard to tell the ones that won't. I guess my experience has made me cynical.

Last night was about this kid (22). He was a raging alcoholic and at 22 years old his liver was no longer processing alcohol. One more drink could kill him. Having being told this and while still in the hospital, he drank the hand sanitizer because it's like 60-some% isopropyl alcohol.

But, this kid... His pain was palpable. He was suffering emotionally as much as one could suffer. I cried throughout the show; my heart just ached for him. I really didn't think he'd survive. I thought we would be hearing about his death at the end of the show. Even the treatment director didn't think he would make it.

But, he did. And after two months in treatment, you couldn't recognize him. He looked healthy. And alive. It was absolutely wonderful to see.

I don't know why I'm posting this. This kid just really touched me and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

everywoman

I think lumping all addicts into one group is easy to do---unless you've been the wife of and the mother to one. Both my husband and my difficult child are really good, kind-hearted, loving men. They have problems---God only knows where they stem from---both have apologized profusely about their addictions. I understand in some ways, but not being an addict I can not understand completely---wish I could. husband should be concerned about recovery---I'm afraid he's more concerned with how the kids and I are doing. And everyone else is more concerned about him than the kids and I!!! A vicious circle....and well...life goes on.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know why I'm posting this. This kid just really touched me and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Could it be because we all want to have hope that someone can turn their life around? That's how your summary of the show makes me feel. :)