Difference between BSP and BIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iloveturtles

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Thank you,

dadside

I believe that a Behavior Support Plan and a Behavior Intervention Plan are essentially the same thing. BIP is the more common term, at least in schools as it is used in IDEA. A BSP may be developed for groups (of similar individuals) or an individual, while under IDEA, a BIP is to be individualized.

I

iloveturtles

I am trying to understand the difference. I think the Behavior Intervention Plan(BIP) requires a Functional Behavior Assessment(FBA). At least this is my understanding from the research I have been doing.

I requested a FBA for my son, and the school district redirected me towards just doing a better Behavior Support Plan(BSP). I think I messed up and trusted them again.

From looking into Manifestation Determination hearings I see that the FBA and then the BIP is what I think we should be looking for.

Please any and all advice is needed.

Does anyone know how to find an advocate that doesn't cost me anything? I am beginning to feel like I need one, and I can't pay a dime. I already am paying over $500 a month that our insurance doesn't cover.

dadside

I don't see that there is a substantial difference of outcome between what you want and what the school proposed. The differences seem to be a minor bit of terminology and the formality of going through the time (and thus cost as well) of a formal study of your child to formalize what they can already assess. At least that's how I'd read it. The following California Department of Education website should be helpful: http://www.pent.ca.gov/beh/bsp/bsp.htm

For an advocate, the "standard" advice is to contact your state's "Parent Training and Information Center". I'm guessing that your area of CA might be covered by www.php.com If not, they should be able to direct you to the right one. You might also get help from www.caseadvocacy.org.

Finally, why did you look into "Manifestation Determination hearings"? Is your son facing possible expulsion or other issues that would call for such a hearing? If so, the hearing would have to find his behavior an effect of his disability -- but his Dr. hasn't given it a name! That could be a problem, even with an IEP (which itself calls for some kind of label").

I

iloveturtles

I am looking into it because we are at 6 days of suspension currently.

According to our school district a FBA for a BIP takes 60 days to complete and a BSP takes two weeks. Seems to be a bit of a difference.

Tomorrow I am calling his regular dr. The dr. in charge of his theraputic program. Looking for direction and guidance for exactly the reason you stated. If we will be facing a Manifestion hearing how without a diagnosis. He has his IEP under Emotional Disturbance.

I will check out those web pages tonight thank you.

I looked at one of the sites and found this information

http://www.pent.ca.gov/

This is why I am confused. What is the difference?

Last edited:
I

iloveturtles

Thank you Dad!

After reading on the pent website I have a better understanding. BIP or I think it is referred to also as Positive BIP is in CA for serious behaviors or when/if the BSP doesn't work.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Just the wording and such that I needed.

Sheila

If your child needs a BIP, request it in writing and via certified mail. Same with-the FBA.

F

fiftyonepercent

Sorry for the very late reply but a BSP is for less severe behaviors and a BIP must be attached if an FAA is written. You want an FAA not an FBA. Also it can take up to 60 days but doesn't have to. See if you can get them to finish earlier. An FAA is more in depth and will take a long time, but it's worth it. A BIP must be attached to the FAA, and a BSP has more flexibility and can be modified if necessary. Both are geared toward implementing positive and proactive strategies and environmental modifications in order to prevent the behavior from occurring. Good luck and keep coming back. It works if you work it.

Sheila

States use different terminology to describe the same thing. For instance, in Texas, and IEP meeting is called an ARD.

They can call it whatever as long as they are in compliance with-the Federal Regs (IDEA).

Also, some districts call behavior plans different names depending on whether they are trying some type of intervention, it's been created under a 504, or required by IEP/IDEA regulations.

Know your State or school district's alphabet soup. Many districts have their policies and procedures on the web these days. You can also ask for written clarifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.