difficult child 1 back in the psychiatric hospital

nvts

It's been a long time coming. They actually released him too soon back in May. The seroquel was scrambling his brain so badly that he was having 2-5 meltdowns per day with increased violence each time.

Finally on Wednesday, he punched me in the head while I had him restrained. Every time he was able to settle down, something would happen and he'd explode all over again. It was total hell.

So, I drove him to the psychiatric hospital. ER, called his social worker who called ahead to the ER and signed him in. I should add, that once we got to the psychiatric hospital. before I could get out of the car, he punched me in the shoulder and slammed something into my back.

Once we got into the ER, he calmed down, told the psychiatrist what was going on and told them that HE felt an admission would be a good idea. I was shocked actually.

So, long story short, he was admitted. He's being titrated down off the seroquel and will be given risperdal.

Hope for the best ladies!

Beth

TerryJ2

Gosh, Beth, I hope that works. Clearly, the medications he was on were not working. Sounds like a good idea.
I hope you don't have too many bruises.
And I am SO glad he said he thought he should be admitted! Wow. He must have felt so out-of-control. There is such routine at phosps, I know he'll get sleep and I hope some good therapy.
Hugs to both of you.

crazymama30

wow, I am glad they are changing his medications, and hope the risperdal does the trick. Get some rest while you can, and if you can get someone to watch the other kiddos go out and have some "me" time. You deserve it.

susiestar

Roll With It
What a horrible day. Hopefully the awareness that let him say that he thought the admission was a good thing will help him participate in whatever therapies he needs and in using them for the rest of his life. Risperdal was a miracle drug for Wiz for a LONG time.

Hopefully the bruises and aches will heal quickly, at least the ones on your body. Sending TLC for your bruised and battered mommy heart.

Next time, if there is one, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call 911 for transport. It is really dangerous to transport a raging child who has been physically violent with you in a vehicle alone. At that point it really is a good idea to let people who can restrain him transport him. I do know how hard it is to remember to call 911 though, esp with a raging difficult child in the house.

(((((hugs)))))

M

ML

I am definitely praying for the best. I hope you have some support through this. This is a lot to deal with. Major hugs xo

LittleDudesMom

Beth,
he's where he needs to be and sounds like he knows it. Glad they are making the medication change. Sorry you had to deal with this.
Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree he is where he needs to be. I hope the medication switch will help him to be stabilized. Gentle hugs and prayers.

KTMom91

Sending hugs and prayers. I'm glad he recognized he needed some help and you're able to get it for him.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Beth, sounds as tho difficult child has some self awareness when he felt he needed to be admitted. (That's a big step for our difficult children.)

Now you need to take some deep breathes & some long bubble baths.