difficult child 1 got his knee slammed tonight...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
in lacrosse practice. Another player collided with him and hit the side of difficult child 1's knee with the front of his knee. :faint: The other player was fine, but difficult child 1 could barely walk. He's had ice on it tonight and is gimping around. The side of the knee is a bit swollen -- doesn't look as bad as some frontal impact swelling I've seen and had myself. I'm just worried about the joint in general. I may take him in to get checked out tomorrow. We were supposed to go for his first ski trip on Tuesday, but that may not happen now. :(

smallworld

In college, my husband tore his ACL when a friend slammed into him from the side when they were both trying to catch a frisbee. He later required reconstructive surgery to stabilize the knee joint. Not trying to scare you, but I'd have difficult child 1 checked by an orthopedist to make sure there's no ligament or tendon damage. Icing, Ibuprofen and rest will help until you can get into to see a doctor. And I'd forego skiing until you know what's going on.

M

ML

I hope it heals quickly and that you don't have to miss your ski trip. Crossing fingers!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, ladies :)

He's walking around on it this morning like nothing ever happened. He says it hurts just a little now... I'm still going to take him in today to be safe. I think the after hours clinic is open...

I gave him Naproxen last night (wasn't sure if even that was ok -- I knew that because of his Crohn's he's supposed to avoid drugs like ibuprofen, and apparently he's not supposed to have Naproxen either). Hopefully the fact that he's in remission on his current medications means he can tolerate one or two doses without a problem.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The doctor said the joint feels like it's in good shape. There's hardly any visible swelling, and the pain is minimal and only when the impact site is pressed. She said to go ahead and keep icing it for the next couple days and he can take one OTC Alleve (not my rx strength stuff) when he goes to practice on Monday. Looks like we'll still take our little day trip to the mountains :)