difficult child#1 is getting better and better

muttmeister

Just got home from a dinner out with difficult child#1 and his girlfriend. We were celebrating my mother's 93rd birthday (was this past Monday) and difficult child's 23rd (will be this coming Monday). :smile: He brought his girlfriend along. He was pleasant, made conversation, and acted like a normal person. :bravo:
He lives about an hour and a half away. This was the first time I had been to their new apartment. It was very nice. He gave us the tour and offered us a glass of wine. Then we went out to eat. His phone rang and he told the guy who called, "I'm out having dinner with my family." This from a kid who used to not even acknowledge us and would walk on the other side of the street so he wouldn't be seen with us. It was really a new experience and I did enjoy it. :dance:
On top of everything else, he has been made night manager where he works. OK, it is a fast food place and he has a high IQ and is a computer genius and could probably be making in 6 figures but he is happy, he is functioning, and I really feel like bragging. It's not something I've ever gotten to do before so I'm taking my chance now. :thumb:

DammitJanet

Wonderful, wonderful!

Progress is progress and as long as they are happy and doing well, it matters not what they are doing.

hearthope

I love to hear success stories!!! They give us all a renewed hope for the future!

I know your mommy heart is so proud!!!!! Good for him!!!

Traci

jbrain

What great news, am so happy for all of you! You have every right to brag! Sounds like he and I share a birthday--Oct. 1st?
He's a Libra!
Jane

muttmeister

girlfriend is not really a easy child; not exactly a difficult child either. She is not somebody I'd choose for him but as long as it is working I will keep my mouth shut.
She is the daughter of the people up the street. They took in foster kids; not a good thing. She turned up pregnant when she was 14; supposedly the father is the half brother of my daughter-in-law (wife of difficult child#2). In reality I think the father was one of the other kids who lived in the house. In any case, she married the daughter-in-law's brother. They had another baby so she has one kid who is 7 and another who is 2 and I think she's 21. The husband physically abused the older daughter so she left him; don't think she's officially divorced yet. He is in prison but will be getting out soon. There has been friction between her and my daughter-in-law even though daughter-in-law was the one who turned her brother in for abusing the kid. Sounds like a soap opera!
difficult child#1 is genius level and this girl is kind of a dim bulb and he has always said that stupid people drive him crazy but maybe he's reconsidered. She works (at Sonic), she cooks good meals, she keeps a neat house, she takes good care of her kids, and apparently they get along fine and what else goes on is none of my business. I'm not anxious for him to marry her or anything like that but, if it happens he could do worse.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nan, I see so many positives in this post. Your son is not only maintaining a job but he got promoted and is maintaining the promotion. And he is also in a stable relationship with someone he cares about. He used to destroy your house and did everything in his power to destroy all family relationships. He is unrecognizable from his past. I can't tell you how pleased I am for you..........and for HIM!

Suz