difficult child 1 may be trying Clonidine for IBS of all things...

TerryJ2

GCVmom,
I would keep him on the probiotic anyway. He doesn't have to have bloating to need it.

Dontcha just love politics? Sigh.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Terry, I may just give it one more month on the probiotic. My second delivery of the Florastor just arrived today -- that stuff is not cheap. I haven't really noticed any making any difference for difficult child 1.

He started the Clonidine last night. 1/2 tab at 3pm and a full tab at bedtime. So far nothing. In fact, he had diarrhea this morning and spent a couple hours in the health office curled up in a ball. The nurse was concerned because he looked really pale, so she took his temp and no fever. But he IS pale. Yet his labs are supposedly fine. I guess pain can cause that? I also gave him two immodium, but he says it has only helped the cramping "a little".

AAARGH!

I'm dropping off the authorization form at the pediatrician's for home/hospital instruction today so we can start it next week. I really don't see any reasonable alternative at this point. He's got an F, D-, and three C-range grades in his academic classes right now. If he didn't have these health issues, he'd be getting A's and B's. Although he won't be able to play in the preseason lacrosse practices after we start this, hopefully we can go back to the regular school format 2nd semester and then he can be on the team when the start up in February.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yes, he'll eat yogurt, but he gets tired of having it every day. I know it's a lot cheaper than the probiotic supplements!

H

HaoZi

I recall a probiotic we always had to get any time I went on antibiotics as a teen. They have it in the pharmacy because it has to be refrigerated, but you don't need an Rx for it and it's not that expensive per bottle. Can't recall the name of the it, but I'm sure the pharmacist would know it. It's a chewable tablet, and he could just take that or the yogurt depending on his mood/hunger that day.

Edit: Acidophilus tablets.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think it's OTC now... but I'll check. The Florastor that he's been taking has actually had studies done that have proven it's effectiveness -- probably why it's so expensive. I know when he was diagnosis'd with Crohn's it was one of the brands recommended.

H

HaoZi

Like I said the only reason it was behind the counter was to keep it cold, this particular one had to be kept cold, but it was always OTC as long as I can remember.

TerryJ2

Poor thing!

You can give him any kind of acidophilus you can get inexpensively, and that he'll take. If you increase the dose to 2X or 3X, that's probiotics. Read the ingredients. It will surprise you. They are supposedly different, as the health food store people will tell you, but read the labels yourself.

Gosh, that poor kid.