difficult child 2 going to his FIRST sleepover!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We've had his friend N over twice to spend the night in the past year, and lots of get-togethers for movies, etc. But this is the FIRST time anyone's invited him over to spend the night.

N has a baseball championship game this afternoon and wants difficult child 2 to come watch and then spend the night afterwards. I'm excited, a tiny bit apprehensive, but glad just the same that he's getting this opportunity.

I have to make sure he takes his phone so I can follow up with him about medications being taken on time, etc.

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly...

TerryJ2

That's great!
In my experience, it always goes great.
It's the next day, when he's sleep deprived and madder than a wild bull that it all goes bad ...

M

ML

That is so cool. Manster recently had his first overnight at a friend's as well. He still prefers them to come here, but he did have a really good time.

Hope he really enjoyed it.

DDD

Just checking in to see an update. It's been years since I had this experience and I'm hoping the news is all good. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Overall it went just fine. Although he DID take his phone, he did NOT turn it on, so I couldn't get through to him to check on whether he took his medications or not. I tried calling and texting the friend, but got no answer. Finally, about 10 minutes before his medications were due, I sent a text to the dad and he informed me they were in a theater watching a movie and he'd have difficult child 2 call as soon as they were out. Turns out he'd left the phone at the boy's house. He eventually sent a text to say he'd taken his medications :)

(Marg's Man gave me a great tip for phone alarms that work even when the phone is off -- see my other thread).

When he got home the next day, he was wound up and got progressively more so, no doubt due to taking his medications 90 minutes late and staying up until 12:30am (or so he said). His friend woke him at 9am, which for most people would be enough sleep, but difficult child 2 needs at least ten.

While I'm glad he got the chance to do this, I'm also glad it's not something he asks to do regularly because of the tendency to destabilize as a result.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad it went well!

Yeah, I know about the meltdowns... Onyxx did this quite often if we let her spend the night at a friend's. She'd stay up all night, then come home and take out her tiredness on us... Rather than take a nap.

But it sounds like this was a good experience for him. :biggrin:

DDD

Glad it went as well as it did. I can understand the emotional reaction the day after because spending the night really is a complex thing...especially the first time at an unfamiliar home. He has taken a big social step forward with success. That's great. DDD