difficult child 2 rethinks inviting over "jacket" boy...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I had a feeling this was an impulsive statement he made on Tuesday. And I'm glad I had not acted yet on his suggestion to invite over the boy he's complained about for four years.

I've been trying to talk to him tonight about the ramifications of blurting out whatever pops in your head like this but he's very distracted. If he wasn't crawling around on the floor he was wandering around the house with ideas of a dozen other things he needed to do rather than his homework. :mad: Then when I get stern and suggest consequences for his non-compliance I get dirty looks and whining and other strange vocalizations.

I'm putting him to bed an hour early tonight. He's driving me nuts.

Jena

LOL. he needs rest and you need a break! :) i hope your night is peaceful and i'm glad he re thought that entire thing, tha'Tourette's Syndrome kinda huge because my difficult child does not rethink those types of things at all, she clings to her nasty friend.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Nope -- couldn't get him to bed when I wanted to.

klmno that's exactly why I posted the Hypomanic question.

I had cut back his evening Seroquel XR from 700mg to 600mg last week because he's been so dang tired in the morning. I think that was a mistake so I bumped it back up last night.

I'm calling the psychiatrist today to ask if we can spread his dosing out even more. He takes 400mg at lunchtime. I think it might be better to do 600/500 instead of 700/400.

Marguerite

It's so difficult trying to fine-tune medications. About manic or otherwise - again, it's hard to tell that from rebound, they look the same. I guess any scenario that has medication levels fluctuating is going to make it more difficult for the person to mentally adjust as it changes, especially as they get tired at the end of the day. I remember kids NOT medicated (not diagnosed) who would always be much ore manic at the end of the day, purely on a "I'm not tired and I'll prove it!" presentation.

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, he was all over the place again today.

Not quite pacing after school, but almost. Lots of energy. Conversation all over the place. Very impulsive.

Called the psychiatrist and left a message about increasing afternoon dose of Seroquel XR. Haven't heard back yet. Went ahead and gave him 200mg of the short acting Seroquel at 4pm, and it did settle him down a bit.

At 5:30, husband wanted to go to dinner without the kids (someplace close by). But I just had this bad feeling that if we left right then, someone would get hurt. Something about his energy level and impulsiveness was like a red flag to me. All three were in the backyard with the chickens running loose. easy child had started to build a "fort" in the middle of the yard. difficult child 2 decided to help her by using a sledge hammer to pound a fence post into the ground for part of the wall of her fort. It was the sledge hammer that had me worried. He was starting to get irritable and I had visions of him taking a swing at difficult child 1 who is usually good for a dose of antagonism.

Plus difficult child 1 had small hatchet and was chopping some branches to use in our firepit this evening. Not a good thing to leave him alone with...

So we had everybody put the chickens away and come in to watch TV or play a video game.

We were gone about an hour and it sounded like we got home just in time as we could hear difficult child 2 screaming some choice words at difficult child 1. Turns out difficult child 1 kicked difficult child 2 for riding his rip stick (type of skate board) in the house, which he knows he's not supposed to do. As soon as they saw us they apologized to us and made motions to make up with eachother.

After a stressful attempt at roasting marshmallows over the firepit (difficult child 2 constantly trying to mess with the fire or burning the marshmallows or then deciding to throw a football around us with the fire going, then difficult child 1 getting bossy and snippy -- I finally sent them both in the house and husband, easy child and I enjoyed some quiet for a while), we tried to watch TV for a bit. husband had already seen the show we put on and went upstairs. At a commercial, I went to the garage to switch some laundry and wasn't out there one minute before I heard difficult child 2 screaming at difficult child 1. Part of me just wanted to stay in the garage and let them hash it out. But the screaming got worse so I went in and difficult child 2 was really mad, claiming difficult child 1 had grabbed his crotch because he yelled at him for laying on the cat! O.M.G. I can't believe the bedlam that goes on in this house. So I sent both boys to their rooms and shut the show off. That was an hour ago. Everyone got their medications, brushed their teeth, and difficult child 2 is already passed out. easy child I just finished tucking in, and as far as I can tell, difficult child 1 is in bed and either asleep or reading.

I think husband is already asleep.

I just wish sometimes it wasn't so flippin' complicated around here. I shouldn't complain because it's an absolute miracle that husband and I can now leave them alone for an hour without the house burning down or someone losing a limb. It's taken 14.5 years to get here.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Marg, you snuck in on me :) I can't blame his behavior on rebound the last few days because he hasn't had stimulant since Monday.

He was very tired this evening. I'm sure he'll sleep late tomorrow. But he has a basketball game at 2pm, so he won't be sleeping his usual 15+ hours!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
And here's another first in a looooong time: He woke up on his own after 10.5 hours of sleep on a weekend!!! That's about 4 hours earlier than has been typical for the past 8 months!

Weird...