difficult child 2 said he intentionally got sick...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Today, difficult child 2 announced that when easy child was home sick with a flu-like bug the week before Easter, he purposely went in her room and drank from her Gatorade bottle so that he would get sick and get a break from school. :surprise: And he did end up catching the same bug and missing the last three days of school that week plus part of Spring Break.

I am shocked and not sure what to think of this. I don't know if he's really telling me the truth either. It just seems so outrageous, but given his disorder and strange way of thinking sometimes, it's not entirely impossible either.

husband and I told him we thought that was a really dumb thing to do and lectured him about all the reasons why. He didn't seem too concerned about the what-ifs we countered to his argument.

Would have been nice if he'd shared this little tidbit BEFORE our psychiatrist appointment last week! :dissapointed2: I'll have to add it to my notes and let the psychiatrist know next time I call...

Anyone else ever had their difficult child pull a bizarre stunt like this?

Marguerite

It's not so much a worry with his behaviour, as a worry because he is so determined to avoid school.

School avoidance behaviour is always a concern. The tactics a kid will stoop to, to get out of school - numerous. But you need to tell the psychiatrist, because school avoidance comes in many forms and needs to be dealt with.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
I would definitely be letting psychiatrist know at the next appointment. Hopefully it will be the last time he does something like this. It is worrisome to think he would go to such extremes to avoid school.

tiredmommy

I'd sit him down and show why sick kids stay home. Fevers, coughing, dehydration, etc can end up being serious if introduced to a large group. He needs to understand that he may think it was just a cold but there's always the potential for him to develop a serious side effect from any illness.

SRL

If it was just a one time thing I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he told you.

I used to try and get out of going to school during my JH and HS years and I was a easy child! I just liked having the day at home alone.

BusynMember

I was very much a child difficult child. I hated school and was afraid of it and didn't like to go because I got anxious and because the kids mercilessly teased me. I would have happily gotten sick to stay home and not be tormented by the teachers and kids. Back then I used to drink hot tea then tell my mom I didn't feel good. When she took my temperature, I'd have a "fever." I used to miss close to thirty days a year.
School was a true nightmare for me. When I had kids of my own, just having to go to the school office used to bring it all back and give me panic attacks. So, sadly, I see where your child is coming from. School for me was not a safe place. It was filled with enemies who tormented me--both peers and educators. I was truly scared of it.

M

ML

I suspect manster would do this to get out of school. Though his germaphobia would possibly kick in and be a good thing in the end.

I hope next year brings a shift in his feelings about school.

Hugs, ML

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm sure hoping this was a one time thing. Like the time he decided to try eating ants that were climbing up a tree... although he said he did that more than once or twice. :sick:

I left a voicemail update with the psychiatrist, just so there's a record of it and if he thinks it's worth discussing I'm sure we will. I told him I didn't need him to call me back unless he felt it was important.

I guess I just never thought in my wildest dreams one of my kids would even consider getting themselves deliberately sick would be an option to avoid something. Lying to me about being sick, sure. But following through on it is what troubles me so much. Hopefully it doesn't happen again after the tongue lashing he got from husband and I.