difficult child 2 starts middle school tomorrow and I'm worried

Californiablonde

I am nervous for him. He does not do well with transitions and now that he's in middle school he will be changing classes several times a day. I don't know how he is going to handle all that change happening at once. He says he is looking forward to school starting so he can see his friends again, but at the same time he is dreading it because he is very apprehensive about middle school. difficult child 1 isn't helping by telling him all these horror stories about how much harder the work is going to be. Middle school is challenging enough for non difficult child's as it is, and I'm just worried that difficult child 2 will get overwhelmed and shut down. I hate to sound like I don't have confidence in him. I know that he is a tough kid and he'll somehow cope like he always does. At this point I think I'm more nervous than he is. I doubt any of us will get much sleep tonight. Wish us luck and send positive vibes our way if you could, please!

DDD

I know both of you have problems with anxiety. Have you quietly reviewed what steps he can take should the situation become overwhelming? Have you drawn a map of the school for him to have in his backpack so "if" he gets lost he can refer to the map? Does he know where the office is and how to find the school nurse. Hopefully he won't need any of those supports but he should have them firmly in his mind and in his backpack before the new year begins. Good luck. DDD

Wiped Out

Staff member
DDD offers some great ideas. Do your 6th graders have a day by themselves before the 7th and 8th graders get there? They do that here so the 6th graders can learn things without the whole school being there.

I would also let him know it is natural to be nervous. I would bet there will be many teachers out and about in the hallways helping. Does he have an iep so that a case manager could be of help?