difficult child 2's newest teacher report.

Californiablonde

Well I just got a report back from his teacher today. My mom went to the school and picked it up for me. She emailed me the comments. Says difficult child is blurting out inappropriate comments at inappropriate times (ADHD or Asperger's? Makes me wonder.) Also says he needs improvement focusing during instruction time and independent study time. difficult child is constantly fidgeting. So it sounds like most of his behaviors are still quite evident in the classroom. So far this medication isn't helping as much as I had hoped, although the teacher says he is showing "small" improvements. I feel better now increasing his Intuniv dosage tomorrow morning. I can see he is still struggling and maybe the increase will show even more improvement. I'm still worried about the side effects though. I will pray we both get some rest tonight because both of us really need it.

BusynMember

If he has Aspergers, that isn't a drug that is normally given to help that and I don't know if any medication can help the fidgeting...maybe some of the blurting. My son never did blurt in class, but, boy, he fidgets all the time, even now, even at eighteen. I am also not sure it helps focus, but, hey, you can try. Can't hurt.
My son, who has high functioning autism, always did worse on medication. Sonic also has ADHD symptoms...the two disorders go hand-in-hand. If you are on the autism spectrum, you almost always have ADHD-like issues as well. The thing that really helped my son the most was school and community interventions. Have you tried them?

InsaneCdn

Says difficult child is blurting out inappropriate comments at inappropriate times (ADHD or Asperger's? Makes me wonder.) Also says he needs improvement focusing during instruction time and independent study time. difficult child is constantly fidgeting
Asperger's overrides ADHD, as a diagnosis.
Blurting? not usually ADHD, can be Asperger's - or other stuff.

Improving focus during instruction time? Constantly fidgeting?
Could be ADHD-type symptoms.
OR... could be Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), which really looks like ADHD especially in the classroom.
(or both, on top of Aspergers...)

Californiablonde

We are in the process of getting him an IEP, which I hope he qualifies. With all of his issues, I don't see why he wouldn't. He has a dual diagnosis of both ADHD and Asperger's, so the doctor is prescribing the medications for the ADHD part of it only. I hope we find a medication that works otherwise he will continue to struggle.

InsaneCdn

Asperger's "should" be the basis for an IEP... (nothing is a guarantee, though).
These kids need to be handled differently - even if they are mainstreamed.
It's more than just the medications.
Accommodations, interventions... and some common sense (oops, that isn't so common!)

Has he ever been evaluated for sensory issues?
That's another area that should get him accommodations and interventions.
And... being "out of sorts" on that front can make everything else in school not work.

(just thinking out loud here)

keista

No he has not been evaluated for sensory issues. Is that something the school will do as a part of the IEP testing?

Some do, some don't. Are you aware of any? Fidgeting reminded me of son. He was always fidgeting. they gave him a "doughnut" to sit on. Not sure what it did but he used it for 3 years.

The good thing about ans Asperger's diagnosis and an IEP based on it is that sensory issues are a HUGE very common part of Asperger's. So, anything you can identify, even without a formal evaluation, should get accommodated.