difficult child and the dentist

everywoman

Tomorrow husband is taking difficult child to a dental clinic to find out what can be done to "fix" his teeth. When he was attacked several years ago, apparently damage was done to the roots and his front teeth are all dead/dying. We tried last year to get them fixed, but difficult child had a major panic attack and left the dentist office before even seeing him. Please have good thoughts that we can get this done, we can afford what needs to be done, and difficult child can go through with it.

F

flutterbee

Sending good thoughts and calming vibes to difficult child.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Hope you have found a "sensitive" dentist who can ease your difficult child's fears. Some just put 'em in the chair and strap 'em down..... Others can be so subtle that it's over before the patient realizes it..... Good luck!

klmno

Best wishes to difficult child, you, and husband- and the dentist! :) They can do some much now- and painlessly- tell difficult child that tomorrow is just to discuss options and what to expect. No work will be done. Maybe that will help.

Good thoughts are sent your way...

I have to add- I have been expected to have one cut out for about a year now. I still haven't done it for the same reason, so I understand your difficult child. But, not having them fixed risks so many other things, it just isn't worth it.

Andy

I worked part time for a dentist who did dental surgery (normal dental work in an outpatient surgery setting). For the most part, this was for developmentally disabled clients who would be unable to do work (even cleaning/exams) chairside. Ask about the possibility of having all work done in the hospital setting. I know that the pediatrician dentist in town also does surgery for some of his patients. It might take a lot of convincing to insurance to preauthorize but the dentist and even his regular doctor can help with that. A pre-op physical was required within 7 days of every surgery. It has to be within 7 days (don't ask if a physical done two weeks earlier will be o.k. - it will not - there are health issues that have to be addressed within 7 days) It may be different in your case, just to emphasis that whatever time lines you are given, it is very important to follow or ask in advance for an exception. Also NOOOOO food morning of - that is a biggy - we had to cancel so many surgeries because group homes did not follow this one.

Surgery is surgery with all its dangers - however, if that outweighs a scared difficult child who may at anytime call it off while in the chair, I would consider it. Once the dentist starts a procedure, it is best he can finish it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sending hugs and prayers that difficult child can handle the dentist today.

If he again has problems, maybe his regular doctor can prescribe something to help calm him. Or maybe something like calm tabs from Vitamin World would help. Be sure to let the dentist know if he uses any herbal preparations to calm him. they may need to do something else before tehy work on him.

I totally understand how scary the dentist is. I am seriously phobic of dentists. There are some who hypnotize. My husband says it is amazing - he had teeth pulled and root canals done under hypnosis and NO other pain medications to keep him out of pain. And it worked!!

Hugs,

Susie

ps. Sending hugs and prayers for husband too. It is never fun to take a child to something they are so obviously afraid of.