difficult child can't stand keeping this secret

Andy

I was stopped for speeding last night. I knew enough to have my driver's liscense out when the officer came to the vehicle but forgot about getting out proof of insurance (I have only been stopped one other time in my life about 20 + years ago). The insurance info wasn't were it is normally kept so officer said, "keep looking, I will be right back." I found the copy that I keep in my purse.

Conversation with difficult child while waiting for officer to come back:

difficult child: "I wonder what dad will say?" (holding back giggle)
Me: "Dad doesn't need to know about this."
difficult child: "What? You are going to keep this a secret from your husband?" (horrified - spouses shouldn't keep secrets)
Me: "It is no big deal, he doesn't need to know"
difficult child: "He will figure it out when he gets the bill."
Me: "I will pay my own bills."

So, officer comes back and states he will give me a warning but to watch my speed. I explained to difficult child that because I was respectful and did not try to deny my actions, I was given another chance.

Next, we get home. difficult child is just bursting at the seams. He just has to tell someone. He notices neighbor on her phone outside and gives her a hand signal that I had been pulled over (she thought he was motioning he would bring puppy out to play with her dog). A little later, all kids and neighbors were standing around and difficult child whispered that I should tell neighbor. I said, "No, not in front of easy child" He whispered, "Just whisper it to her." This secret was so big that he wanted someone to know and if he couldn't tell someone than I should.

I know husband will find out sooner or later (probably next time difficult child is mad at me) but it really is no big deal so I will let it go. I just smile and chuckle over difficult child's reaction.

F

flutterbee

:rofl:

My difficult child would be exactly the same way. She'd probably get home and call my mom to tell on me. :rofl:

KTMom91

About 10 years ago, I was stopped for speeding, Miss KT in the car with me, and yes, I was going very fast. But when the officer asked me how fast I was going when I saw him, I said, "I'm not sure, I was singing with the Barney tape." Fast forward to last year's high school yearbook...when they asked some of the kids what they remembered about vacations they had taken when they were young. Yep...she told the whole story, it made the yearbook (of course) and I had people who knew I was Miss KT's mom asking me about it for quite a while. The things our little darlings remember!

susiestar

Roll With It
How cute. And so cool that you can just be amused at him. Many people I know would be shushing the child and embarrassed.

YOU are as cute as difficult child is with this!

Abbey

Spork Queen
That is TOO funny. My difficult child would have ratted me out in a millisecond.

The only ticket I've had in my life was about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, it was speeding through a school zone. It was my first wake up call that I needed glasses as I couldn't see the sign that said "End School Zone." I was only about 10 feet from it but ended up with a couple hundred dollar ticket. Lovely.

(I won't tell you about the time when I outran a cop in a rural area. I knew it better than he did.) ;)

Abbey