difficult child continues his downward

Wiped Out

Staff member
spiral. While we were away this weekend difficult child continued to backslide big time. He had a few good moments but some very difficult ones as well.

He was extremely verbally abusive and the physical violence has returned as well. :sad:I don't need to go into details but it wasn't good. I'm feeling so emotionally drained right now and so much like the glass is half empty and I'm usually very much the glass is half full type of person.

Of course, in difficult child's eyes anything he did was deserved because someone made him angry. As usual he goes right back to being his happy self and doesn't understand how others could still be upset.

I was really hoping that we had gotten past the violence. Good thing his psychiatrist appointment is this week-Wednesday, I think.

As usual thanks for listening.

SRL

I'm so sorry, Sharon. I don't think I've ever felt more helpless in my life than when in the midst of the downward spiral.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

I'm so sorry that difficult child is spiraling out of control. I have to tell you sweetie, we rarely travel with either kt or wm anymore. The change in their environment & structure really throws them for a loop. :rolleyes:

Personally, I resent missing out on so many family celebrations & such - yet I know my difficult children limitations. Next time you head out of town is it possible to head out with-o husband? You know - trade off?

husband & I have done this for a few years now. It really helps.

Keeping fingers crossed that psychiatrist has some ideas for difficult child. I hate to bring this up but is it time to look into Residential Treatment Center (RTC) options? Your difficult child is so very volatile; his stable periods are so limited.

Sending you big (((hugs))). :flower: Sounds like you need them.

busywend

I am so sorry. It is time for something to change. Tell psychiatrist something has got to give.

I hated feeling that unable to help my difficult child. It was the worst part of the dark days.

Sharon,

I'm so sorry difficult child is continuing his downward spiral. I wish I had some good advice for you, but my mind is totally "fried" as difficult child 1 is also in a downward spiral.

I know what you mean about feeling like the glass is half empty instead of half full. I've been feeling the same way. I think it is important that you keep taking care of yourself as best as you can :smile: :reading: :bath:, etc... I know you're on the go so much. Try to get a little extra sleep if possible. :sleeping: I've found that sometimes, just getting a few extra zzz's can make a big difference...

I understand how hard it is to watch helplessly as our difficult children forge a path of destruction and make life so difficult and stressful. I hope the psychiatrist is able to help - Hang in there - Wednesday will be here before you know it... WFEN

susiestar

Roll With It
Sharon,

Hugs, take whatever time you can for pampering yourself. I am so very sorry. I know how horrible it feels to have a violent child.

I hope you can make psychiatrist see that you need some real intervention before your difficult child gets much bigger.

Hugs,

Susie

TerryJ2

I am so sorry, Sharon. I feel for you. Our G'sfg are the same age. Mine was bratty this wkend, but not half as bad as usual, but I know what you mean about the downward spiral.
And I know what you mean about feeling drained.
I hope you can find some time for yourself, to take a nap, read a book, talk on the phone to a friend, or take a walk.
Does difficult child have an consequences because of his behavior? I've found that even though they don't "get it" when it comes to how their behavior affects others, they will "get" the repetion of being sent to their rooms or having Nintendo taken away just because you SAY their behavior is affecting others.
All we can hope is that the basic cause and effect will someday turn into conscience and responsibility.

Alisonlg

Wow can I relate! M just began a downward spiral as well and BAM was it like hitting a brick wall today! The physical violence came back 10 fold and I became a punching bag.

Many hugs coming your way...unfortunately that's all I have to give. :::::hugs:::::

Adrift

The violence is SOOOO hard! Because then you'll do anything to avoid it which isn't good either. It's a vicious circle!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Everyone,

I do appreciate all of your support.

SRL-It's definitely a hopeless feeling when they're in that downward spiral.

Linda-I do know what you mean about not taking difficult child out of town. It is always a hard decision. We actually get respite when we go to husband's family-it's the ride home that is always so bad. An Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is always in the back of my mind.

Busywend-I do hate that feeling of not being able to help difficult child through these times.

WFEN and Susie- You are right about getting extra sleep and being good to myself. I'll be glad when January roles around and things start to calm down. I am trying to take good care of me with exercising and reading.

Terry-I agree about the consequences. difficult child does get consequences. At times they seem to make a difference, when he is way out of control I don't think they do but at least it makes me feel better.

Alison-Gentle hugs right back at you. I'm sorry M is spiraling too.

Lynnp-You are definitely right about it being a vicious circle!

Again thank you all for your support. difficult child had a better day but is still rough around the edges and having a difficult time with boundaries.

I did go to the health club tonight and got in a great workout so I am feeling better. Now I need to get my November book club book and start reading!

G

guest3

Sharon I can so say DITTO on how you feel and what you're going through. <<<HUGS>>> Dani

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
While I love Fall I hate watching and reading about all of our G'sfg spiraling and hitting walls...
I hope things get better.

F

flutterbee

Sharon,

I'm so sorry. He was doing so well and that makes this especially hard.