difficult child crying

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child just spent the last 20 minutes sobbing about not wanting to go to camp. husband is taking him and I'm sure difficult child is still crying. He just keeps repeating, "Don't make me go", "I don't want to go"

It took me 10 minutes to get him to take his medications. I then brought him his shoes. In between he sobbing.

Separation anxiety at 15? He ends up having fun each day but still fights us every morning. At this rate the next two weeks of camps are going to be looooong! I am so enjoying my time with-difficult child not being at home. I need this, husband needs this, easy child/difficult child needs this, and difficult child needs this as well. I was doing really well not feeling guilty. I'm just going to keep repeating, "I will not feel guilty, I will not feel guilty..."

StressedM0mma

Anxiety? Sounds like what my difficult child did for a Loooong time. She still will on occasion. She gets herself so worked up about what might happen that she gets paralyzed with anxiety. At least husband is still able to get him in the car and he is going. I hope it improves next week.

InsaneCdn

Once you get past the middle of the week, it could also be some form of fatigue or overload.
(around here, it's either anxiety or fatigue... consistently!)

T

TeDo

Sharon, has he been doing this EVERY day before he goes? You didn't mention it in you other thread and even sounded positive. Before you assume it's separation anxiety, you might have to "dig" (Basket A type conversation) for the reason behind him not wanting to go..... OR have you already done that in which case I'm just blabbering?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Stressed-I think it may be anxiety more than anything else.

Insane-I'm sure fatigue is a part of it as well.

TeDo-Today is the first day of all out crying. Mon and Tue he was fine. Wed he asked if he could stay home and yesterday he said he really didn't want to go and even ran over to us after we dropped him off to see if he could come home right away. He says he likes everybody at camp and that nothing happened. He is the type that would tell us if something happened (I think-always has in the past) but maybe I'll dig a bit more tonight.

InsaneCdn

WO... that's exactly the pattern with my difficult child. And his was... neuromotor fatigue, auditory fatigue, and accumulated effects of daily low blood sugar (burning too many calories compared to intake). Probably a bit of overdose on adrenalin as well!

BusynMember

Sounds like, with his cognitive problems, he is emotionally much younger than fifteen. So, yes, I believe he could still miss you and not like the thought of leaving you.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
any chance a weekend reward would help? I know he's older, but this does work with ym 15 y/o difficult child some times... just a thought, if it's anxiety based I am guessing a reward would not help.