difficult child getting out of hospital today

Critter Lover

They took him off of Haldol and Ativan. They replaced it with Seroquel. Not happy with the scenerio that they are wanting to place him in and would be much happier if they would place him in a behavioral focused home. They are talking about placing him in a one bedroom apartment which would have 24 hour support. I question the amount of support he will be given because he was suppose to have support from 7am to 11pm which never happened. Too many gaps in times of no one there at all. Even told support coordinator that if they have to transfer him to another county which his sister lives in then do so because I think the behavioral group home would be best. Isolation in his own apartment only makes an autistic more unsocial plus he will turn to be a loner all together. They said that they would still take him to social events. I do not have a good feeling about this at all.:frown:

TerryJ2

hmmm. I can't offer much, except to ask, are they placing him alone because he's aggressive toward others and it's a safety issue?

How is he doing on the Seroquel?

I've got my fingers crossed for all of you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I thought he was in a place with 2 other guys - that didn't work out?

I'm sorry for your hurting heart!

M

ML

Just adding my support here. I hope they find a good solution and that provides supervision and the chance to get out a bit. Take it easy xo ML

Critter Lover

Terry....I know they just bumped up his Seroquel some more so I have not seen him since he went in. Not a good area to visit at night and that is when visitation is.

Star.....he was with two other guys but he tried to strangle the one in the wheelchair.

ML....thanks for the support.

I am just going to have to live with the fact that this son of mine will provide me nothing but heartache until the day I die. :sad-very:
Now he is not getting out till Wednesday because he can not go back to the apartment for anything. They will have to move all of his stuff to a new place without him helping. Anything that is missing...I will just go to the apartment and ask them for it.

B

bran155

I am so sorry you are hurting. I can relate, I to feel as though my daughter will only give me heartache. It is tough to live with, I know.

Hang in there.

(((HUGS)))

Critter Lover

difficult child is stuck in hospital till they know where they will place him. This is so aggrevating....working with a state agency and getting them to move on anything is almost impossible. Now we do not know if he will get out
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday or when. :mad:

You could light a firecracker at their butt and they still would not move any faster.:2dissapointed:

TerryJ2

Oh, now I remember the wheelchair incident.

State agencies have never been known for their creativity in regard to problem solving. :(

I hope he is doing okay for the next few days while he waits. Sigh.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, at least while he's in the hospital you know he's being watched over and having his needs met.

How are they proposing he get 24 hour support if he's in a 1-bedroom all alone? I don't get it. Sounds like he'd do much better in a group home.

Did they ever figure out what triggered the "attack" in the first place?

Critter Lover

The one bedroom apartment is not even in the picture anymore. They have a possible opening on March 1st at a behavioral group home that is not far from my house. Now we have to wait to see if they will accept him since he has had two incidents that were reported to them. They can refuse him and we are at square one. Found out today that he can not go back to apartment even with 24 hour person there because the father of the guy in the wheelchair filed a complaint to the Agency.

difficult child can be very confrontational when he wants to be ....that week he was trying to pick a fight with me over the phone but I would not feed to it. I think all it took is for someone to say something in a tone that he did not like and he went after them. I believe his Bi Polar totally went out of control. Poor guy in the wheelchair happen to get the confrontation and so did a support staff worker. I tried to tell the support coordinator that I did not like the idea about the apartment because there was not 24 hour support and the psychiatrist and I told them he needs to be in a group home. This all would not have happened if they would listen to the parents instead of trying to second guess what needs to be done. I guess they are truly seeing what we have been dealing with and I guess they never believed us before.

If he gets placed in the behavioral group home and he still gets out of control then the next step up is intensive behavioral group home. They actually have them restricted with jackets or tied down in that type of facility. I hope it does not escalate to that level.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Critter,

Don't belive all the horror stories you hear about intensive places....Dude has been in two of them. Yes yes....there are tie downs and yes he was tied down, and there were straight jackets and thorazine. But it sent a message to a very immature person - you act like THIS? THIS will happen. Didn't take too many shots of thorazine to let Dude know when someone says "Calm down" you should CALM down.

My thought was if he is OUT of control at present - why NOT send him to the intense place and allow him a goal of working out of there? Step down programs seem to work a lot better with our kids - (Dude being the exception to almost every rule in my humble opinion) but - perhaps that place like the one Dude went to would put the fear in your son (as it did Dude) so that he COULD move to a less restricted environment.

Belive me - NO ONE wants to call the mother of a 13 year old and say "Your son was so out of control we gave him a shot of Thorazine and he's currently tied to a safety bed." - twice. And no Mother (being ME) wanted to hear that either. But the next group home setting the first question he asked was "Do you give shots when you're out of control and tie me up?" and the lady caught my wink and said "Well if that's what someone needs we will, but we like to solve our problems differently."

That level of disruptiveness has NEVER been seen in Dude since.

Thought maybe that would help your hurting and unknowing heart.

Hugs
Star

Critter Lover

Star..... I know my son will have to learn that way but it is not easy to watch or hear about them going through it. I know this is the only way because I know we certainly can not handle him the way he is and he needs to start being more independent on his own.

Thanks for the insight because it does help me to cope a little more.

HUGS!