difficult child got a job

Fran

Former desparate mom
It may even have potential to be a career some day. He is working full time in the mail room at a large company. He starts with orientation on Monday. He will get benefits after 90 days. I can't wait for him to be off this SSI thing. I really hate it but it's in his best interest until he can do more for himself.

He will have a job coach to get started. Yay!

Now if he will not self sabotage he may be able to move forward.

DammitJanet

How great Fran. Im so happy for difficult child. Working does seem to make them feel better about themselves.

Heres to hoping everything will just fall into place for him.

everywoman

So glad for him. I know its a relief to you. Hopefully he will be able to get with the program and not let his eccentricities interfere with his job performance.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks everyone.
Meowbunny said it right. It's nice to have hope once in a while.
We know his pattern so the job coach and other supports are in place. My worry is that his oppositional thinking will take over.
All we can do is offer the supports. The rest is up to him.

DDD

That really is great news, Fran. Please share what steps were taken to reach this opportunity with supports in place. Fingers crossed. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Fran,

Praying for forward motion!!!! Congratulations to your difficult child. I think I see a successful young man in your future!!! It sounds like a super good job, and with help/coach? Win/Win!

Hugs
Star

KateM

Great news! Is this the first time he will work with a job coach? I'm always interested in hearing your news as my difficult child reminds me so much of your son. difficult child will graduate from his specialized school in June, so we are just starting now with OVR. Hope this job proves to be a good fit for your son!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran

I am so absolutely THRILLED for difficult child!!!!! :wine:

:woohoo::cheers::happyguy::whistle:

I soooo this turns out to be an amazing career move for him.

Hugs

Coookie

Oh Fran that is wonderful news. :laughing: Keeping everything crossed and saying a lot of prayers for success. I completely understand the "self sabotage".. :( It is a fear of mine also. :( BUT I am learning to just appreciate every day of success. :)

Way To Go M

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
KateM, I'm putting my faith in the program. Hoping that they are able to work with difficult child and the system. The mailroom is not too public and it's not too lonely. He will do a lot of physical lifting. He is capable to do that. His challenge and goal is to be consisten and responsible. Do the best job he can and make them see the good stuff in him. The right supervisor can pull it out of him. He could move along if he proves himself.

Coookie I'm taking your advice and just enjoying one day at a time.

Steely

Awesome Fran - that is so amazing! I am keeping all my hopes up that he finds this job unbelievable rewarding, and embraces it with all he has.

:woohoo: