difficult child got a job

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by Fran, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

It may even have potential to be a career some day. He is working full time in the mail room at a large company. He starts with orientation on Monday. He will get benefits after 90 days. I can't wait for him to be off this SSI thing. I really hate it but it's in his best interest until he can do more for himself.

He will have a job coach to get started. Yay!

Now if he will not self sabotage he may be able to move forward.

2. trinityroyal

trinityroyal Well-Known Member

Wow Fran, that's great news!
    Congratulations to difficult child, and here's hoping that the job goes well.

Yay!

3. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

How great Fran. Im so happy for difficult child. Working does seem to make them feel better about themselves.

Heres to hoping everything will just fall into place for him.

4. WhymeMom?

WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

Hoping the job goes well for him.......great news!

5. everywoman

everywoman Active Member

So glad for him. I know its a relief to you. Hopefully he will be able to get with the program and not let his eccentricities interfere with his job performance.

6. Nomad

Nomad Guest

Great news. Wishing you and your son all the best.

7. meowbunny

meowbunny New Member

Hope he does well. It's nice to have some hope once in awhile.

8. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

Thanks everyone.
    Meowbunny said it right. It's nice to have hope once in a while.
    We know his pattern so the job coach and other supports are in place. My worry is that his oppositional thinking will take over.
    All we can do is offer the supports. The rest is up to him.

9. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

That really is great news, Fran. Please share what steps were taken to reach this opportunity with supports in place. Fingers crossed. DDD

10. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

Fran,

Praying for forward motion!!!! Congratulations to your difficult child. I think I see a successful young man in your future!!! It sounds like a super good job, and with help/coach? Win/Win!

Hugs
    Star

11. KateM

KateM Member

Great news! Is this the first time he will work with a job coach? I'm always interested in hearing your news as my difficult child reminds me so much of your son. difficult child will graduate from his specialized school in June, so we are just starting now with OVR. Hope this job proves to be a good fit for your son!

12. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

Good for him, Fran! Woo hoo!

13. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

Fran

I am so absolutely THRILLED for difficult child!!!!! :wine:

:woohoo::cheers::happyguy::whistle:

I soooo this turns out to be an amazing career move for him.

Hugs

14. Coookie

Coookie Active Member

Oh Fran that is wonderful news. :laughing: Keeping everything crossed and saying a lot of prayers for success. I completely understand the "self sabotage".. :( It is a fear of mine also. :( BUT I am learning to just appreciate every day of success. :)

Way To Go M

Hugs

15. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

KateM, I'm putting my faith in the program. Hoping that they are able to work with difficult child and the system. The mailroom is not too public and it's not too lonely. He will do a lot of physical lifting. He is capable to do that. His challenge and goal is to be consisten and responsible. Do the best job he can and make them see the good stuff in him. The right supervisor can pull it out of him. He could move along if he proves himself.

Coookie I'm taking your advice and just enjoying one day at a time.

16. Steely

Steely Active Member

Awesome Fran - that is so amazing! I am keeping all my hopes up that he finds this job unbelievable rewarding, and embraces it with all he has.

:woohoo:

17. Sue C

Sue C Active Member

Fran -- This is AWESOME news!!!! I hope the job works out!

sue

18. Estherfromjerusalem

Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

Fran, that is wonderful news. I hope he makes a go of it -- it sounds like a really good chance.

Please keep us posted how he gets on.

Love, Esther

19. Abbey

Abbey Spork Queen

That's great, Fran!! Now...maybe he can hire me. ;)

I hope the best for him.

Abbey

20. mrscatinthehat

mrscatinthehat Seussical

So glad that difficult child has found this job. I hoep it works out well.

Beth