difficult child had a great birthday!

trinityroyal

difficult child is officially 19.

He had a great birthday celebration, and I'm so proud of him for holding it together today.

First, the other residents at his Residential Treatment Center (RTC) baked a cake for him and had a little party this morning. Then the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) staffing meeting this afternoon, followed by cake and presents with me, husband and Big Sis, and then out to a movie.

difficult child has been having some rapid mood cycling lately, about 3 swings per hour. Yet he managed to get through an entire birthday WITHOUT A SINGLE MELTDOWN.

This is history. I don't think difficult child has EVER had a birthday without a meltdown.

Sniff...my little boy is all grown up.

Happy Birthday difficult child

Jena

Ah that's soo cool!!! I'm so happy for him and all of you! What a pleasure that must of been.

What movie? And how nice that they baked him a cake.

trinityroyal

The movie was Body of Lies with Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe.
(Personally, I HATED it and sat out in the lobby for more than half. WAY too loud, too bright and too violent for my liking--put me in total overload. But difficult child, husband and Step-D liked it, and I read all of the movie gossip magazines in the lobby, so we all had fun.)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
How nice Trinity. I am happy for you and difficult child. Yeah a lot of movies put me in overload... I watch at home a lot.

They are doing a thing up north of us in Phoenix, Sensory Movies. The lights are dimmed, not off. The sound is lower. The kids can get up and walk around and the exit doors will not trigger the alarms, but they will do a quiet alarm. They are for all special needs people, but started by the Autism Society.

I want them down here!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Happy Birthday to him, somehow I missed that!

Congrats to him on a no-meltdown birthday. That is hard for a lot of ADULTS I know.

don't be surprised if there is a meltdown in the next day or two though.

Hugs,

trinityroyal

Toto, that's a great idea!
A lot of the cinemas here have Mom-and-Tot movies. Soft and gentle movies, suitable to bring a baby to, with lower volume and such. I wonder if they would be interested in doing Sensory Movies--they have programs to hire people with disabilities on staff. I bet they'd be receptive to offering special needs movies too.

Susie, I'm definitely interested in seeing the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) daily reports today, especially the morning one. I'm expecting major ructions, but difficult child may just surprise us all.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
(Now to gear up for Little easy child's 7th birthday in a few weeks.)

Trinity

lovemysons

Hi again Trinity...Sounds like you've had good things happening on at least 2 fronts, with husband's job and your son's birthday. That's awesome.
Enjoy!
Tammy

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations for making it this far Trinity - you deserve something special!!!!

My Mother had the right logic. On my sons birthday she sent him a card with cash and me a gemstone ring. She said I had earned jewelery for making it 18 years without strangling him. lol.

HAPPY 19th kiddo - HUGS Auntie Star

TerryJ2

Very nice, Trinity! A No Meltdown birthday is what everyone wishes for. :)

I would have sat out that movie, too.

Totoro, that is SO awesome. I love that idea.

F

flutterbee

I'm glad that difficult child had such a wonderful day. Happy Belated Birthday, difficult child!

I can't do movie theaters anymore, either. Too loud, too bright, too much 'flashing' on the screen as the images change. Puts me in overload and that translates (for me) to, as I call it, a full-on B. IOW, I'm not very nice to be around.