difficult child Has Been Challenged!

B

Bunny

difficult child had an appointment with the therapist tonight and while we were waiting in the waiting room we were talking about his science class. He was telling me that the teacher has a policy that if a student gets a 100 on a test during the year he buys that student lunch. Apparently, in the four years that he's been doing this he's only bought lunch for students 10 times and never has a student done it twice. difficult child turned to me and said, "I want to be the first kid to do it twice."

Some days I think that he's becoming less difficult child-ish.

Calamity Jane

That's so great - don't you wish you could've videotaped him saying that, just so you could play it over and have it warm your heart over and over...so nice.

T

TeDo

That is a great goal for him to set his eyes on ...... but (you know there HAS to be one right?) ...... how's he going to handle it if/when it doesn't happen? That is the issue I'd have with difficult child 1 and it would be such a slam against his self-esteem that the anger would be .... well ...... unbearable for anyone around him. What I've had to start doing with difficult child 1 is always remind him how hard it is and that I don't know that I could do it and as long as he tries .....Know what I mean?? That way, if it doesn't happen for him, it won't be as much of a shock.

Good luck!

B

Bunny

That's a good point TeDo, and the therapist and I have already started working on him. We told him that the fact that the teacher has only bought lunch for students 10 times in 4 years means that the tests that he gives are not super easy tests and to work on getting a 100 the first time. Then, after he has one under his belt, he can work hard to try to do it again.

I love the fact that he has taken this on as a challenge, but if he is unable to do it, I don't know how he would react to it. I don't think that it would make him angry. I do think that he would be a bit disappointed in himself.

InsaneCdn

Sometimes it makes a difference whether somebody else succeeds or not. If "nobody" gets a lunch this year, it isn't quite so hard for a difficult child to accept (i.e. teacher made the tests too hard). But if somebody else gets a lunch and difficult child doesn't... Just something to keep in mind as you all work through this.