difficult child has been purging

This evening wife and I were sitting down to cards, easy child 1 playing Webkins on the computer and difficult child down in the basement. The water alarm on the sump pit went off: the washing machine had started pumping out, the sewer line was backed up, and waste water was coming up from the floor drain. wife and I ran down and shut off the washer. difficult child was in the bathroom down there, burst into tears and ran past us upstairs and outside on the porch in her pajamas in the snow. wife went up and coaxed her back in. She confessed that she has been purging -- making herself vomit -- for the past three weeks.

It took us an hour or more to clean up and disinfect the basement. She kept saying "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." I can't even begin to imagine how badly she must feel. I feel so sorry for her.

It is amazing that we missed it yet again. In retrospect you can clearly see that she was eating much more than usual but not gaining any weight, but somehow we were blind while it was happening. She has become expert at hiding it.

witzend

I'm so sorry. What has helped her in the past with this? Do you have an idea of what the stressors are that have her back on this path? It's really a good thing that she came to you with this. And actually, it's kind of interesting that your septic system seemed to be purging itself at the same time that she was, and that it was the alarm on it that made her break her silence. I don't know, maybe that's goofy. But it struck a chord with me.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am so sorry HWGA and so glad that you're in the know now and can get her some help. I am interested to hear what has helped her in the past also and what steps you take now with this.

Sending hugs and support~

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sending hugs of support.

My best friend purges. She has tried repeatedly to stop. In her head she knows it's not the answer to her weight or her problems. But it doesn't seem to matter. She continually returns to purging. Now it is taking a major toll on her health. Her kidneys are shutting down, her liver isn't functioning properly, and her blood sugar is outta whack. Unfortunately at 30, it's become a way of life and she's showing no signs of stopping soon.

If easy child has done this before seeking out treatment with someone who specializes in eating disorders is a really good idea. easy child is still young enough that this behavior may be changed.

Hugs

Big hugs to you and her.

As you probably know, this is swapping one addiction for another. Please get her help. She is my current prayer for the addict who still suffers.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
HWGA, what's next? Will she agree to treatment? It's a good sign that she told you. How long has it been since her last bout?

I'm really sorry.

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
HWGA -

I'm sorry your daughter has been doing this. When I was in my 20's I did it on and off for a year. What stopped me was going into a small country type cafe - and eating, then going to the bathroom. I didn't know my x was standing outside the door listening to me and he screamed SO loudly at me that if I threw up ONE MORE MEAL he paid for he was going to beat me - and everyone stopped you could have heard a pin drop. If I could have crawled out the 1' x 1' bathroom window I would have - I was 5' 8" and 119 lbs. but well built.

I know that is not an answer for your girl but I agree with Suz - at least she's talking about it. and if she's talking - she may agree to treatment.

I hope you can find something to help. WE had our own septic tank issues today - and try being in this house with the gag reflex near to a breath of air and ultra sensitive sniffing. I think we're on our 2dn or 3rd bottle of lysol and 5 gallons of bleach -

Star