difficult child has Ortho appointment. this morning

StressedM0mma

Hopefully we can get the cast reduced to below the elbow, and get the thumb released. I may j ust have to saw it off myself if they refuse!!

B

Bunny

I hope that they reduce it for her. I can't understand why they casted her all the way to the shoulder if it's her wrist that she broke.

S

sjexpress

usually when there is a fracture, they immobilize the joint above and if necessary, the joint below as well. This prevents you from moving the injured limb as many muscles cross over multiple joints. If you move your elbow, some muscles that attach by the wrist as well will move and cause the bones at the fracture site to shift. Then the fracture will not heal well. ( before I became a stay at home mom 5 yrs ago, I was a PT. Well, still am but not working)

Jan

StressedM0mma

Well, we have wonderful excellent great news!!! The cast was cut down to below her elbow, and they released her thumb to the first knuckle. Talk about a sigh of relief. And, even though it is a difficult break, he feels it will only be the typical 6 weeks, not the 3-4 months I was told originally.

InsaneCdn

Yay!!!
Getting her elbow back AND part of her thumb?
Talk about liberation!

Did they make it not quite so tight so she can deal with an itch?

buddy

Well, we have wonderful excellent great news!!! The cast was cut down to below her elbow, and they released her thumb to the first knuckle. Talk about a sigh of relief. And, even though it is a difficult break, he feels it will only be the typical 6 weeks, not the 3-4 months I was told originally.

Oh so glad she got some relief (and thus you get some relief!)..... Now, here's hoping it heals beautifully! (So can she ride with it cut down like that now??....was it her new horse? Is she going to be afraid now?)

StressedM0mma

IC yes she can itch it now, and bend her arm and wiggle her thumb some. Buddy, it wasn't her horse that when down, It was a lesson horse. And when it happened she jumped right back on. She isn't scared at all. She can hold reins now, so she is itching to get back on. I am not sure if it will be Saturday or not. Her horse has a ton of work in her before she is ride-able. But it gives her something to focus on.

buddy

sounds great....good for her. Oh I am glad she will be able to ride. now that she can scratch better she will at least not be quite as irritable I hope! My poor parents had to take care of me when I had a cast from the waist down both legs as an infant/toddler. YUCK.