difficult child has started journaling

flutterby

Fly away!
All on her own. Ok. I've suggested it for *years*, but she started doing it of her own accord (see...they do hear us sometimes :tongue:). I didn't know until last night.

She sent me her recent journal entry from last night via email. She expresses herself so well. I'm really impressed. Of course, it's not the best of stuff that I want to hear...it's a bit heart-breaking...but she's getting it out. She's quite articulate. She also told me she plans on printing them out and taking them to therapy. In addition, she's been keeping an art journal.

I'm really proud of her. She's taking an active interest in her mental health.

Finally.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
It is great she is writing things down and taking an active interest in her mental health. It is a huge step:)

nvts

That's fantastic! Writing stuff down will open a whole new world to her. She may be able to review different things and determine some of the factors in her life that have been keeping her down.

You're a great mom! Keep up the great work!

me

M

ML

That is so cool flutterby. This is a great opportunity for her to express herself. I guess they do sometimes hear us. :)

susiestar

Roll With It
It is great that she is journaling and willing to take it to therapy! That will be a BIG help for her therapist to find out what they need to work on. I am sorry it is not stuff you want her to have to deal with, but I am glad she trusts you enough to share with you.

Jena

that's great you must of been so happy. journaling is such a great way to get it out, it really is helpful.

fact that she did it on her own, wow.

great news, love hearing the good stuff :)

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you, ladies. :)

She told me that her art journal had more sad pictures than happy ones. But, she went and counted and found out there are the same number of each. I think she was pleasantly surprised. Even better because the bad stuff tends to stick out more than the good, so that's all she seems to remember.

It will be nice when there are more happy pictures than sad ones, but the fact that she's keeping a journal and recognizing there *is* good is wonderful.

ETA: I'm still not allowed to mention depression or anxiety, though. She's adamant those aren't issues. Baby steps.