difficult child home from psychiatric hospital

Woofens

Got a call from the psychiatrist this AM. They released difficult child this afternoon. Said the psychiatric evaluation showed ODD and ADHD. She said they saw no signs of the ADHD, so no medication, at least not right now. We have an appointment with a new psychiatrist through our local behavioral health, waiting to find out when but it is a 3-4 month wait. He goes back to counseling with his therapist next Tuesday.

I'm glad he is home, but I'm not sure anything is going to change. Now that we are 99.9% sure I'm pregnant, I'm more worried than I was before. He says he isn't going to hit or kick anyone anymore, and they told him at the psychiatric hospital that if he did, we would bring him back. Since he hated it so much there, I"m really hoping that the threat of going back will be enough to help him control his temper.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Hugs
Jan

TerryJ2

Best of luck, Jan.
I know your difficult child is happy to be home, in his own room.
I'm a little confused. The psychiatric evaluation showed ADHD but the psychiatrist said they saw no signs of it?

Woofens

Terry,
The psychiatrist said they saw no signs of the ADHD while he was at the psychiatric hospital. That he was able to concentrate, stay on task, no real hyperactivity. I wish she could see him at home. My 10 yr old ADHD daughter can hold it together at school but loses it when she comes home. I wonder if difficult child "held it together" while he was at the psychiatric hospital, in regards to the ADHD? I don't know. I'm confused too

smallworld

Jan, it may not be ADHD. My three kids test positive on questionnaires filled out by us parents and their teachers for inattention and distractibility (and they've even "failed" the computer tests that assess for ADHD), but their anxiety is what causes their sx, not ADHD. The ADHD hallmark sx of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity can occur in many childhood disorders.

I hope your difficult child's transition to home and school goes smoothly.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Jan,
I'm glad you are able to have him home and hope you see some differences than before he went in. Three to four months seems like a long time to have to wait. I wish you could move it up somehow.

susiestar

Roll With It
Jan,

I hope things are better with him home. Congrats on the pregnancy, and make sure someone else does the restraining if he does hit or kick. Also make good on the "threat" to take him back to the psychiatric hospital if he gets violent.

Hugs and hopes for the best!

Susie

F

flutterbee

I was thinking along the lines of Smallworld. My daughter at your son's age looked like classic ADHD, but she does not have ADHD. It's anxiety in her case.

If it is anxiety, medication for ADHD is likely to make it worse.

I hope things are better with him at home.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hugs and prayers, hoping things stay calm for at least alittle while until you get new psychiatrist in place

Pookybear66

Jan-Glad to hear he is home now. I don't know whether to wish you congrats on your pregnancy or uggs but I am prone to thinking that things happen for a reason. The great being must have thought that this was the right thing for your family.

It does seem curious that they gave diagnosis but did not offer any further strategies for you or give you medications. Just be careful though. He may slip back worse now that he is home or things may go good for a while and then not. Who knows-I certainly don't! Best wishes for the time to go quickly until you see the dr again.

Take care of yourself!