difficult child Hospitalized

difficult child and I are here together in his hospital room. What a shock! Two days ago he came home from school with horrible pain in his back, arms, and foot. I took his temp , it was high - and checked out his foot. Oh my, his foot was three times its normal size and a bright, angry red color.

husband and I scooped him up and took him to see the doctor immediately. His doctor was gone and he saw another doctor who really doesn't know his history. She said, looks like an infection - so she took a culture and said I'll give him an antibiotic shot and send him home with oral medications. I was just amazed that she would suggest this with difficult child's extensive medical history. I asked, don't you think he needs to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Not her favorite question, but she said , "Well if you really think he needs to, I guess you need to go check".

After a whisk through the emergency room, we were admitted to the first available bed. Unfortunately, it turns out difficult child has MRSA. We've been working hard for years to prevent this, but there it is. We think he picked this bug up when he went to see his plastic surgeon last week, just no way around it. Now he's quite ill , needing IV antibiotics for days and possible surgical drainage of his foot. It's amazing how quickly this all happened, very scary.

The good news is we got him to the right place, and quickly enough to prevent further damage. I've been contacting the school as his last semester of his senior year just began. We're hoping that through a combination of hospital schoolwork and maybe a homebound teacher he'll be able to finish out his year. He's already been accepted at one of the local universities, and he really has his heart set on going next year. One thing is certain though, he'll probably be using a wheelchair for months.

Please send up prayers/healing thoughts for him....

Last edited:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
One Day--

I will definitely send you healing thoughts. MRSA is very scary! (And unfortunately becoming more and more common.) And good for you for not letting the doctor just send him home. You saved his life by getting him admitted!

Hang in there! I'm sure that everything will be OK...

B

bran155

I am so sorry. Poor guy!! I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Hang in there and God bless. :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh my gosh! That's a very serious infection -- so glad you pushed to have him admitted despite the ding-dong doctor who was ready to just send him home with a scrip!

I hope they are able to knock the infection down quickly and that he doesn't develop any further complications. He will be in my prayers!

(((HUGS!)))

klmno

Well thank goodness you pushed for admittance when you ndid. Way To Go Mom!! I'm glad it was caught early and he's getting treatment. I hope he recuperates soon. Good thoughts coming your/his way!!

SRL

Oh my! It's a good thing you were on the ball.

My prrayers for a speedy and thorough recovery--

SRL

K

Kjs

wow. You did great. Glad he is in the right place getting the right help.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
A big drawback to some practices is seeing doctors who don't really "know" our kids. That's where mom's intution counts for everything.. I'm glad you trusted that gut feeling and got him to the ER. Hope he recovers quickly.

B

butterflydreams

Good thing you pushed for the hospital. Poor guy. I hope he heals quickly.

M

ML

I am sending prayers for a speedy healing and recovery. Those MRSA infections are buggers... I'm glad you caught it right away. Love, ML

TerryJ2

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Ouch. It's so common nowdays. :(
I hope he gets out of the hospital soon.
Aren't you glad you're a Warrior Mom and insisted he go to the hospital?

My easy child daughter and husband have both had it.

husband got it from the ENT/plastic surgeon who corrected his deviated septum. What a nightmare, to have that infection in the middle of your face!

easy child thought she was bitten by something on the lifeguard stand. I thought she cut herself shaving. difficult child thought she'd been bitten by a spider. (We have brown recluse and black widows here so you can never be too careful.)
The dr took a half of a half of a split second and said, "That's not a spider bite. It's a MRSA infection."

The dr said it's VERY common with-teenagers. They run in packs--LOL!--share germs, and don't have the best hygiene. She certainly learned her lesson! :) :(

She had to wear a bandage and long pants for a month, in 90 degree Virginia summer heat. She was upset when she found out it's contagious.

The main thing is to catch it early, like you did. Good job!

How is your son doing? Is he nervous? Or happy with all the attention? Has he ever been in the hospital before?

Many thanks to everyone for sending the healing thoughts and wishes. difficult child's foot has come a long way, but it has a ways to go. The docs came by this morning and said he may be discharged Sunday or Monday. It will be very good to be home.

Terry, difficult child's doctor says she sees around 5 cases of MRSA a day. I knew it was common, but not that common! I can't imagine how your husband dealt with this type of infection on his face, wow! I know it was so very traumatic for your easy child as well. When you are young you just don't anticipate this type of thing.

difficult child , unfortunately, is a frequent visitor at the hospital. He was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident six years ago and lost part of the foot that is now infected. He has undergone a series of staged reconstructive surgeries (13) over the years. Ironically, his plastic surgeon had just discharged him last week. I am of the opinion that he may have picked this infection up at that very visit. It really seems to be the most likely place.

husband and I are very used to the hospital routine by now, and we have "a hospital plan" for organizing trips back and forth to the hospital . difficult child is never left alone in his room - one of us is always there. The hospital we use is a children's hospital and is an excellent one. But, the nurses are very busy and it's really vital to have another person in the room to keep the treatment moving forward correctly.

Because I work in the rehabilitation field I know how important it is for individuals to learn to be their own advocates in the provision of medical care. It's going to be a challenge in many ways to help teach difficult child to be advocate for himself - as he will turn 18 this year. I shudder to think what he would have done to get treatment for this infection had he been away at school in a dorm room. This is a very , very scary thought.

Again, thanks to you all for your positive thoughts. difficult child seems to be turning a corner.

TerryJ2

Poor guy!

I am of the opinion that he may have picked this infection up at that very visit. It really seems to be the most likely place.

Yes, unfortunately, that's likely.

Good for you that he's never alone. I wish more people knew to do that. Just having a friend there, reading a magazine, makes a huge difference, both to the patient, and the awareness of nurses and aides who may be making a mistake.