difficult child hospitalized

P

PatriotsGirl

Not in a psychiatric hospital, but regular hospital. Thursday morning her eye was red - looked like she scratched it or the beginning of pink eye. I took her with me to my doctor appointment (we all have the same doctor) and he said he couldn't see her because she needed to have an appointment and they didn't have any appointments that day. Well, turns out it was a staph infection and by Saturday morning, her eyes were swollen shut and she looked like the elephant man. She is on 3 anitbiotics and pain medications and they are saying she won't be able to come home for a few days.
These poor, poor nurses! She is so oppositional! About everything. These ladies deserve a purple heart for putting up with my high maintenance difficult child. I told them all that was highly oppositional but they already figured that one out. They dosed her up with heavy pain medications and it is never enough. I told them to give her Benedryl and tell her it was more dilauded. So embarassing. She told them all she "used" to be a pill popper so she knows what will work and what doesn't. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die...
I spent the first night there but last night I had to come home. I needed a break and she didn't want me there, anyway. Claims she can take care of herself. Her best friend showed up to spend time with her so I took that opportunity to take a break. Getting ready to shower and head back shortly....hopefully her face looks better :(

Fran

Former desparate mom
So sorry about the hospitalization. What a scary thing to have happen. I'm glad they took it seriously and had her admitted.
Don't stay every night. She is a big girl and if nothing else, she is pretty well supervised. Stay home and rest up. Go normal visiting hours and stay positive despite her negativity.
Don't worry about the nurses, no matter what your child says and done there is something worse they have seen or been through. Not much is shocking or scandalous anymore.
Recharge your battery while she is in the hospital. Enjoy some peace and quiet in your own home.

JJJ

Heck, unless she gets tied to the bed and then flips the bed over - she will be way better behaved than the man in the room next to my dad's in April.

Nurses see so much, I wouldn't worry about it - they probably think you are so sweet and feel sorry for you that you're the one taking her home :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Fran and JJJ are right -- the nurses have seen it all, done it all, so take advantage of this opportunity for some respite from her! My difficult child-dad is the same way when he's coherent in the hospital. He trusts no one and gets very angry and combative. Thank God for sedatives!

Hang in there! I hope you get some rest while she's occupied and her eyes are healing.

((((Hugs))))

P

PatriotsGirl

The mama bear in me feels guilty when ever I leave. I am in the playroom of the pediatrics unit getting some work done while she sleeps. The antibiotics have not worked as well as they should have by now so she is having surgery at 2pm. They are going to make an incision, drain it and clean it. They said that should speed up the healing. I hope so! She is absolutely miserable here - can't blame her much - but holy moly!! Her first weekend of freedom and she had to spend it in the hospital! Thankfully they give her dilauded every few hours and it keeps her knocked out most of the time. What they need to do is put her in a coma until she is healed - she is obssessive and is a picker so when she is awake, she is in the mirror trying to drain it herself and probably making it worse :(

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
she is obssessive and is a picker so when she is awake, she is in the mirror trying to drain it herself and probably making it worse :(

Good God! I hope it has a chance to heal before she makes it worse!

I hope things heal quickly for her, I hope you let go of the embarrassment over her behavior (the nurses really have seen it all), and I hope your home is at least peaceful without her there. Hugs~

P

PatriotsGirl

I have been home only to sleep and shower. My son is thoroughly enjoying having the house to himself, though...lol. He likes having the big screen downstairs with no one to take over what's on :) Hubby has been holding down the fort there while I am here. Not sure why I stay here - she is sleeping 80% of the time I am here, but I guess it is that mommy instinct that still takes over. But I have been walking out of the room as soon as she starts her attitude. I refuse to sit there and take that any longer.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
PG - good for you on not taking the abusive 'tude.

If she is a picker, they'll notice that in a hurry. Hopefully the doctor can scare her silly with some horror stories? They wouldn't work on Onyxx, but... Who knows.

Hugs for you. And I'd probably be in the waiting room for her, too.

P

PatriotsGirl

They know she is a picker but she argues everything!!!!!! You can tell her the sky is blue and she would say no it's not. Ugh!! SO frustrating!! We told them the best thing they could do is put her in a coma until it is gone...but they won't do that....

JJJ

Can you distract her with movies or video games??? Personally, except for the pain I like my hospital stays...something about being waited on and being able to sleep whenever I wanted.

P

PatriotsGirl

We have a ton of board games that we have been playing with her. We had a nice game of Scrabble yesterday. But she mainly wants to sleep and I certainly don't blame her there. It looks so painful. Now they have pushed her surgery AGAIN. She has had nothing to eat or drink since midnight last night and now they are not doing the procedure until 3:30!!!!!!!!!!

JJJ

Do they have her hooked up to a drip? If not, ask if they can as that will help decrease the hunger pains.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ugh -- sorry they bumped up her surgery. I hate that aspect of hospitals. So much "hurry-up-and-wait" goes on. Sounds like you are coping as well as can be expected. I hope she turns the corner with this and can be sent home soon.

(((Hugs)))

P

PatriotsGirl

Yes, she is on a drip along with a 24 hour drip of antibiotics....luckily they shot her up with dilauded so she has been sleeping. She has no idea her surgery was moved. I told the nurses if they were smart they wouldn't say anything and just let her sleep. ;) Poor thing still looks awful :( It is when she is sleeping that I look at her and feel bad...then she wakes up and the head spins like the exorcist! LOL

idohope

I hope the surgery goes well and she is healed soon.

Hope the picking does not cause additional problems. I know that Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies and oppositional behavior does not help my difficult child when we are trying to deal with physical healing! So you have my empathy.

TerryJ2

Argh! I am so sorry.
I agree ... use the time to stay home and sleep.
And keep her sleeping, too. ;)
I hope the surgery goes well. Maybe a psychiatric resident will stop by out of curiousity and be able to help?

JJJ, he flipped the bed? Wow.

P

PatriotsGirl

I cannot believe it...she tries to put a guilt trip on me?? Huh?? In pre-op she was being her mean self and I calmly told her that if that was how she was going to treat me, that after I ensured she was fine after surgery, I would go home. She honestly says to me, "like you have been?" Claims I haven't been here with her. I have been living at this hospital! She is sleeping most of the time and gets extremely angry when she is woken up by anyone, so I have been working in the other room. I go home to sleep and shower. Some nerve. Then the nurse tells me she came out of surgery emotional, crying and asking for me. I don't get it...I just don't get it. And now here I am sitting by her side, while she is snoring...

P

PatriotsGirl

I ended up leaving her last night. She was having a temper tantrum because they want to give her dilauded and lortab for pain but she wants percocet. Doctor doesn't want her to have percocet because he feels she is too young so oh.my.heavens. She acted exactly like a drug addict needing a fix. I gathered up my things, said I have had enough embarassment, she gave me the finger while she was screaming at me and I left. Told the nurses she was all theirs last night! She tried calling me as I was leaving and I didn't answer. I have had my fill. I am staying home and getting some much needed work done this morning before I even go up there and see how she is doing. I have been nothing but there for her this entire time and this entire time I have been her personal punching bag. No more.

P

PatriotsGirl

Looks like leaving was the best thing I could have done. I worked from home a bit yesterday morning and when I went to the hospital - not only did she look much better, but she was funny, nice and polite to every one! She was actually a joy to be around yesterday and I had a very hard time leaving her last night. If only this was the kid we had every day. Even the nurse went out of her way to help her yesterday. I try telling my difficult child that you catch more flies with honey but that normally goes in one ear and out the other. I am hoping she will be discharged soon....but I am SO happy that she looks better....