difficult child I resumes his criminal persona

Ephchap

Grace,

I can't remember the age of difficult child I, but I'd be concerned as well. Depending on his age, is there a counselor that he sees that you could talk to?

Raising difficult child's is not an easy task, that's for sure.

Sending hugs,
Deb

Andy

I would trust your instincts. If you are becoming scared, then it is time to do something. Take him for the evaluation.

BusynMember

Lexapro and all antidepressants can actually make kids worse--more aggressive, angrier, irrational, even psychotic. My daughter pulled a knife of herself while on Prozac. These are NOT mood stabilizers. I've taken the gamut of antidepressants and the wrong one can mess you up--you must be extremely careful. If it's the Lexapro making him worse, no counseling will help him. And you do need to wean slowly off of it if you decide to remove the medication. Also, if he is using illegal drugs or drinking, no prescription drugs will help. I'm not sure what's wrong with him--is he a drug abuser? If so, I wouldn't put him on anything else to add to his frazzled state of mind (this includes drinking). Looking at your son's diagnosis, in my opinion somebody missed the boat. If he's planning killings, I would say he's got much more wrong with him than ADD/ODD. A re-evaluation and surprise drug test may be in order. At least, that's what I'd do.

DammitJanet

From everything else that I have read with his actions, I would definitely get him in to see someone quickly. His threats alone are dangerous because if he says them to the wrong person he can be charged with them. Depending on his wording it would be either communicating threats or terroristic threats.

He is escalating his behavior and I dont know if this is from a behavioral or psychological condition. Only a good psychiatrist can tease that one out.

klmno

I agree with, Janet. From my experience with difficult child- a psychiatric hospital stay to prevent an action is much better than a stay in juvy to pay the consequences. (Err on the side of caution.)

And, are you sure his diagnosis is right? It was my understanding that ADD/ADHD isn't an on-again, off-again type diagnosis. Your words (ie, "highs and lows") raise a red flag that something else might be going on. But, I'm not a psychiatrist and you might have already had this evaluated.

Follow your instincts on this one, in my humble opinion.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry. Trust your instincts and get him in to see someone. As MWM said, Lexapro is NOT a medication that will stabilize "highs and lows". It can make them worse.

Please be careful that he does not turn his rage toward YOU.

Keep us posted.