difficult child is getting excited about moving out...

mstang67chic

Going Green
...and is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was running some errands and stopped in at Big Lots to look at some things. I actually ran into difficult child and one of our neighbor guys who difficult child has befriended. The guy, PJ, is helping difficult child figure out what he needs and put together a bachelor pad. PJ had to leave so difficult child stayed and we looked at some more things to compare prices, etc. and then came home. Once home, we sorted through the stuff I had set aside for him from a couple of garage sales and the left over stuff from mother in law's apartment. Of course, I also had to spend over an hour convincing him that a shower curtain is NOT a privacy device but instead is a way of keeping your bathroom dry. (It's just going to be me Mom.....it doesn't matter if I'm naked.) He also questioned why I was keeping a brick cheese slicer from mother in law's as I don't use brick cheese (such as Velveeta for instance). I replied that now I COULD buy brick cheese (such as Velveeta), would therefore need the slicer and then gave him the LOOK. (I bought a brick.....once. He ate it. In one sitting.)

We were also checking prices on stuff he had down for a future grocery list. I was telling him the best places to get things (dollar store vs. Big Lots vs. Walmart, etc) and mentioned milk. NOW he decides that he won't drink milk because he drinks too much and it will cost him too much money.

*blinks*

Really???? After you've drank thousands of dollars worth of OUR milk over the years? :slap: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

AND he has to wash all of this stuff NOW. He has to do this NOW and do that NOW. His first SSI check hasn't even come in yet. We don't have an apartment yet. On the plus side though...he IS cleaning his room! :bigsmile:

I have the feeling that the next few weeks are going to be.....interesting.

DammitJanet

Oh boy is it different when it is there money!

Cory was always a clothes hound when it was MY money being spent. Now? He likes clothes but he will search out seconds or thirds or places that sell damaged items and get fancy names for a bare minimum. If he does get a nice outfit he is anal about it...lol.

At my house, he was always on my phone...cell or house phones. They were glued to his ears. When he moved out, he didnt have a phone for a long time and thought he died and went to heaven when he got that rickety corded phone from the dollar store. He has a cell phone that all people on disability get which has 70 minutes a month for free. Better only use it in an emergency...lol. Oh....Stang...I will send you that link so you can get difficult child one.

Cory has learned the value of a dollar. Real potatoes. Drying clothes outside. He cooks well. He can make better meals than most guys his age...or girls for that matter.

DammitJanet

Are there fishing holes up there? Thats an excellent place to stock a freezer. Also great way to get cheap meals to feed oneself when hungry. Cory goes out and catches many a meal. All he needs is oil, flour, salt, pepper, a few taters and if he is really lucky some cornmeal to make some hushpuppies. He will cook up whatever he catches and has him a good mess of either bass, brim, catfish or even pike if they are running.

You know what they say...a country boy can survive! Teach difficult child to hunt and fish and he will never starve. Too many squirrel, rabbits, coons, ducks, geese, deer, and other critters around to starve. Squirrel burger is rather tasty. I wont say it tastes like chicken...lol. More like sloppy jo's with less sloppy.

DammitJanet

Oh now...you just havent had my deer. I make the meanest deer stew this side of the Mississippi and Tony cooks the best deer kabobs. To die for!

Jody

You girls are too funny. I don't have an older difficult child, but love to read and hear what I might have to deal with. I just got a thrill hearing that your son was moving out. I cannot wait for my daughter to do that. ;) She's only 11 though. :sad-very:. I can do the fish thing, but don't want anything to do with the deer. I had it once, maybe it wasn't cooked right, but didn't thrill me enough to try again. It probably just takes getting used to. The shower curtain thing just cracked me up.

mstang67chic

Going Green
If that cracked you up then you would have loved me at the store yesterday. I went down the cheese aisle, eyed the Velveeta and said (out loud no less) Soon. Soon my love!

I'm a dork.

DammitJanet

When I met Tony I was such a city girl that I had never had anything not bought at a grocery store and wrapped with a price tag. In fact the first time he served me fish, I looked at him and asked him what in heavens name he expected me to do with it because it had bones in it! LOL. He had to fillet all my fish for years. It was hysterical because he could fillet the tiniest little fish for me and the boys when they were toddlers. We didnt buy fish sticks, he made them!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I debone my fish but it's salmon out of a can. Give me something that actually looks like a fish and has scales? Someone else is cooking it.

DammitJanet

Stang Stang Stang...We really need to come back to OH for a visit...lol. We will bring Star and DF with us.

On another note. OMgosh, I took a good look at Cory today and I think he could slip through a crack in the door! I dont know whats wrong with him other than all this pain and stuff but he is losing weight like crazy. He is now down to about 155. He had these jean shorts on and I swear he had no butt at all! None. Im a bit worried about him. And no it isnt dope. I know him better than that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Any kind of food is good if you're hungry enough.

BFF is having to put down a duck today - it attacked another duck and then went after one of the little kids. I'm about to invite myself for dinner. YUM.

Now, I can't dress a fish... Someone else has to do the cleaning, scaling, etc. - but I'll cook it!!!!!

DammitJanet

Billy would starve if the microwave broke down...lol.

The other two were immersed in country boy living from day one. Ok...I think it was day 14.. Tony literally had them out on the pier fishing when they were two weeks old. Of course, they werent fishing but he was. He just took the stroller, attached a couple of fishing poles to it and plenty of bottles and diapers. Both Cory and Jamie learned to walk on a fishing pier and it freaked tourists out. Here were these babies pulling up on the rails of the pier and toddling around. LOL. The pier swayed too. Bothered the tourists, didnt bother the boys! They were beach babies.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can not only fillet, but can butterfly fillet, tiny fish. I don't like fish on the bone, either...husband used to call butterflied perch or bluegills (brim to you Southerners) and call them "fish chips", LoL.

We used to take a limit of perch (50 back in the day), and I'd stand at the cutting board and do all of them before freezing them.