difficult child is missing his sister

Wiped Out

Staff member
really missing easy child while she is away. No matter how often we tell him that she will be coming home next weekend and then goes back for a week and will be back he just can't understand. He is sure she is leaving for college in the fall (she'll only be a sophomore in hs next year) and that she will buy a house and he will never see her again.

He told me today that he was crying at basketball camp because he missed her so much.

I wish I could help him to understand. He has been able to talk to her but it really hasn't helped much.

He thinks when she comes home that he won't fight with her anymore (wish I had a tape recording of that-lol).

Funny, how I can feel so sorry for him when in every other way lately he has been rude, obnoxious, and downright mean-argh but that's for another post!

klmno

Wow!! Can you have him write it down- maybe write her a letter? That is very sweet. You never know what will strike a difficult child, do you?

tiredmommy

You scared me!!!

I thought difficult child had gone missing, lol! I'm sorry he's having a hard time adjusting to easy child's absence. What does easy child think of this?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh we have to savor those rare moments when our kids are being loving siblings no matter how short lived we know it will be!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sorry guys, didn't even think of it that way til you mentioned it-I'd reword it but don't know how to change it!

TerryJ2

I know the feeling. My difficult child is the same way. He can be so adorable and sweet one minute, and a demon the next. And he loves his older sister.
P.S. You should be shot for writing that subject heading. It gave me a start!

Christy

I thought it was a clever title for the post--an attention grabber with a happy ending. Sorry difficult child is sad but it is sweet that is so attached to his sister:)

Andy

I was reaching for a phone book to call out the national guard search and rescue team! What a way to wake me up!

Do you think that along with missing his sister, difficult child is partially scared for what it means for a child to move out of the house? It reminds him that someday he will be grown up and leaving? Does he want her home for the normalcy? One less person in the house does change the dynamics of the day.

Would it be possible to allow him to have a pillow or stuffed animal from her room to keep him company until she returns?

I wish my difficult child loved his sister like that. We have the opposite problem - he is trying everything possible to get her out of the house.