difficult child is Moving Classes/Schools

Stella Johnson

We had an IEP meeting on Friday. We all agreed that she needs more than the Resource room and regular ed can provide. So, she's back to the class she was in last year but it's at another school.

difficult child seems excited about seeing her old teacher and friends. No concerns at all about moving schools this time.

They wrote into her IEP that she is allowed to use her Alphasmart. None of the teachers or principal had seen one before Friday. They all seemed impressed.

We will see how it goes.

Steph

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG!!!

I am soooo releaved for difficult child!!!! YEA!!!! :bravo: :dance:

Thank God they listened! I'm so happy for her. :smile:

Hugs

witzend

When will she start? I'm glad to hear that she is excited and that she will be with a teacher that she knows. You really are a warrior mom for her! Way To Go!

Marguerite

I'm glad to hear from you, I've been worried about you, wondering how you were getting on.

I'm so glad she is happy about this move, too. And to be able to keep using the Alphasmart - how is that going? Is she finding it easy to use, or does she still need to practice her typing? Although difficult child 3 was already not bad on a keyboard (just him) having to use it constantly has really pushed his keyboard skills up.

Downloading from the Alphasmart is also really easy, she will get the hang of it quickly if she is shown how. And once she has the confidence to be able to do it for her teachers that should also help her. it also gets away from the visual distraction of images which can be a problem using a easy child.

Where does she go from here, with regard to later schooling? I only ask because we had to begin making plans several years in advance for difficult child 3. I did feel it gave me some peace of mind to have advance understanding of our options.

We now have an election looming - 5 weeks to go. And difficult child 1 is a voter. Trying to help him understand the issues, the policies, the range of factors - it's difficult. He doesn't take a lot on board, although he's able to follow if we explain things for him. Even though he is now an adult we are constantly 'translating' for him, to help him manage in various ways.

Sometimes I feel school doesn't finish with formal education.

Marg

Steph,

Once again, our girls are twins! Aly's IEP was Friday as well, her gen ed teacher had been out of school alot due to her very ailing father. Anyways, school psychologist is going to do ANOTHER assessment as to how anxious Aly really is in the Gen Ed population. They thought she was doing half way ok, only in there 45% of her day though. husband and I told them how she is falling apart at home saying how hard it is in the gen ed class, even the playground at recess is difficult for her now as the younger kiddos don't have the same time recesses and she only is comfortable with kids at least 2 years younger than herself.

Oops, sorry didn't mean to take over your post. Will post one of my own.

I am so glad that they are addressing your difficult child's needs and that she is happy with the move!!

Hugs of luck,
Vickie

Stella Johnson

Thanks, Daisylover.

Witzend,
She started this morning.

Margeurite,
We are doing much better. :thumb: She doesn't know how to type the way that we do but she's pretty quick with the keyboard. She knows her way around. She loves using the Alphasmart.

It's hard for us to plan years in advance in our area. They are building new schools every year and they bounce the Special Education classes all over the place. That's why I originally wanted to keep her at the school she was at. She has been moved every year since Kindergarten to a new school. We live in a very new area. I wish we could plan ahead exactly where she would be.

Just Keep Swimming,
Sabrina does better with younger kids as well. They are more on her level. She tries to make friends her own age she is just so immature. Last year the kids were very understanding. This year I think they are getting to close to puberty. Little girls turn into little snots the older they get. Most of difficult child's friends at school are usually boys. They are much more accepting of differences than girls are.

I met all of difficult child's new teachers this morning. Her Special Education and regular ed teachers seem great. Her regular ed teacher had a child in her class last year that is alot like difficult child so hopefully she will be good at handling her.

She saw a few kids she was in Special Education with last year. She's excited about being with them again too.

Hopefully this placement is the best one for her. All signs point toward it. :dance:

Steph

rejectedmom

Steph so glad things are getting better. Glad difficult child is going back to a situation that worked for her and that she has no anxiety over the transition. -RM

svengandhi

Sometimes what seems like the more restrictive environment is actually less restrictive for kids like ours. My son is now in grade 6 in an Learning Disability (LD) private school and we are pretty happy with it, except that he gets so much homework.

If she feels more comfortable and is able to learn, then the environment is NOT restrictive for her. That was the argument I used to get the Learning Disability (LD) placement for my son.

I hope that it works out for Sabrina (which is SUCH a pretty name, by the way).