difficult child made me so proud

crazymama30

We went to our friends (kid's adopted aunt)funeral today. Very sad, she died unexpectedly in a hit and run car accident. difficult child was perfect at the burial, was hugging people and consoling her husband and kids, all the while he had tears just rolling. Even after lunch when he was playing, he maintained and did not get out of control, even though he was swinging and there were lots of kids around. He usually does not do well with that many people around, he gets so overstimulated and starts showing off.

At the service at the church when the pastor was done he asked for people to talk about memories. A few people went up, and then difficult child walked to the front of the chapel, and said how G (husband) and M (deceased wife) had loved each other very much you could tell by how they looked at each other and they never yelled at each other. He then said that he thought that they would be together forever, they would never get divorced. Then he said something to the effect that she died too young (she was35). He did all this so well, he did not yell, and he looked out at the crowd while he spoke. I was so proud. There was not a dry eye in the place.

It is good to be done with the funeral. I hope the kids do well, it has been a hard time.

susiestar

Roll With It
How very touching! I am always impressed with the way our kids can pull it together and cope in situations like this, even when they are long, not just a few minutes.

It is so amazing that he could get up and share those memories. It is just heartwarming to hear about it. I actually teared up. I bet that will stick in the dad's heart for a long time. And in everyone else's hearts too.

I would be prepared to either have a very calming day tomorrow or to see some acting out. It seems to take a lot out of our kids when they have to pull it together like that. Heck, so do we after stressful days. I think it is why golf tournaments are so popular on weekend afternoon tv - gives adults a chance to nap! (No offense to those who actually watch it.)

I think this should be put in a journal or scrapbook page with pics of the family. It will mean even more in years to come when you remember her. I am sorry you lost a friend.

maril

I am sorry to hear of the loss of someone close to your family. I hope time will ease the pain.

What your son shared with others was very touching. It is positive that he was able to cope well at a difficult time.

Take care.

crazymama30

difficult child had a busy and physically and emotionally exhausting week. He had sport camp monday to thursday, the funeral friday,and today we are doing nothing. Maybe will go fishing at the river or up to his poppa's to shoot bows, but all kinda low key stuff. Today is also husband's birthday, so we will make his favorite cake and a nice dinner.

susiestar

Roll With It
Happy Birthday to husband!!

A TRULY AMAZING sign that difficult child was able to hold it together after such an intense week!!! SUPER GOOD sign!!! Doing something like going to shoot bows is an awesome idea, esp if it is a low key activity and will allow him to work off some energy in a noisy (possibly) and active way. Have fun!

Andy

Oh so cool! Your difficult child really is a special kid. It is great when difficult child's can show the world the true importance of life is in relationships.

graceupongrace

Wow, that is awesome about difficult child! He really showed a lot of heart. You're entitled to be proud!

Hope the weekend gives you all a time to decompress. Enjoy the birthday celebration. :D

Jeppy

I'm glad he recognized the importance of the occasion and behaved appropriately.

I also want to offer my sympathies on your loss.

BusynMember

If this is your 11 year old, I'm truly amazed. That is something else for one so young. He truly does have a wonderful heart and is a great person. You SHOULD be proud.

crazymama30

Yep, this is the 11 year old, and he is a fairly immature (or so I thought?) one at that. I think that we finally (knock on wood and doing the nekkid chicken dance) have his medications right, and I think that his therapist deserves credit too. I was so impressed. He is awesome, but still a handful!

susiestar

Roll With It
They are ALWAYS handfuls, even the pcs! It is part of what makes them such cool people - they never stop surprising us!

It really does show an amazing amount of caring and sensitivity, as well as strength to be able to force his difficult child behaviors into submission for so long. It will probably show in a need for increased need for whatever his stress relievers are. Even if it doesn't (esp if it doesn't?) it is still PHENOMENAL that he could really sense what his actions needed to be AND deliver it with that plus 200% sensitive caring for the family. He is a true keeper and I sense really heightened level of success in his future. The road to that may be difficult but if you have faith and lots of patience eventually that sensitivity and strength that he showed today will triumph in his own life and give him enormous happiness and success.

I am just so proud and impressed!

LittleDudesMom

Wow CM, that's wonderful. It showed empathy for others and real maturity. I'm impressed! You have every right to be proud of your son!

Sharon

M

ML

Wow, that is pretty special. He is a great kid. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That is so sad.