difficult child pysch appointment.

Jena

hi!

went to the dr. with-difficult child today about the medications. told him seroquel seems to be doing nothing at this point.

so, i gotta wean her off the seroquel and increase the zyprexa. he said give her 5mg at bedtime. i said what is the pt of that? I said i talked to my friends "here" and that will do nothing, she has to begin eating solids soon so to give her the medication at night is pointless it'll just make her starving at night when she has to sleep.

appointment. went this way hi how are you guys?

(we're fine)

why are you here? LOL

(umm medication check)

what is wrong with her? Oh sheesh

eating disorder.............

love love pyschiatrists NOT.

so as of tmrw she'll be on 2.5 mg in a..m. and 2.5 mg. at night zyprexa.

we'll see how she'll sleep.

Jena

sharon, you really hope? was that it?? LOL. i'm soo dingy today i sat for like five minutes looking at that and saying hmm what did she mean?? :)

H

HaoZi

Let me know how it works for her, surprised he didn't just do 5mg mornings only.

Jena

yea he's a bit of an old foogie kinda doctor. really i had to hold my laugh in when he said WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER??? LOL.

i'll do what he says for today, maybe tmrw than by weekend i'm giong up to 7mg a day on it. i need a few days at 5mg. first. i think small's idea of 2.5 mg at each meal is the way to go.

H

HaoZi

Might be what's keeping her up, too. Sure did with mine! Morning dosage went way better.

Marguerite

what is wrong with her? Oh sheesh

That reminds me of an old Wizard of Id cartoon. A peasant walks into the doctor's surgery. Peasant spends several frames *cough* *cough* *hack* *hack* then finally the doctor looks up and says, What seems to be the trouble?"
Peasant gets up and walks out in disgust.

Marg

Jena

funny stuff those pysch's.....

she didnt' sleep last night till 2 a.m. again. she was soo hungry and refuses to eat solids so she licked a bag of pretzels, ate the insides of 3 devil dog's and ate an entire package of oreo cookies. not the cookies the junk in the middle.

this is what happens when i put me first and actually go to bed LOL. she's a very rigid girl my child. quite unique and thick headed. it's hard to explain this part of her yet if she doesnt' want to eat i don't think any medication will change that. she'll eat when shes' ready.

smallworld

Jen, I know I don't know your daughter, but I have experienced an eating disorder of this magnitude. And while it may look willful, from my perspective, it's not. I venture to say it's not a question of want; it's a question of can't. I believe your daughter still needs work with getting the right medications administered day in and day out and a feeding therapist working with her consistently.

Josie

I agree with Smallworld. Even though my daughter didn't have an eating disorder, she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which has led her to do or not do things that appear willful. It would seem easy enough to go in a room by herself, but she WOULD NOT do it. Intensive CBT allowed her to do that.

At some point during that treatment, we added Trazadone for sleep and a tiny dose of Lexapro, so that probably helped, too.

But I think we might have waited forever for her to decide she was ready to do that on her own.

Jena

hi

I have no clue and won't even begin to guess. All I know is the refeeding therapist is working on with-her the diff. between I can't and I won't. She CAN because she tells difficult child there is nothing wrong with-you. She WONT because she's afraid of eating.

Who knows. I'm at that point where I do openly admit I have no clue, am listening to the doctor's on this one and a small percentage of my gut. The ZYPREXA is making her more manic than usual. I increased the dose last night gave her 5mg. she had a total of 7mg in her and i went into her room a bit after to find her with curling things in her hair to curl it, sitting on floor going thru a ton of old books and paperwork from school with her radio on and bouncing off the walls.

so i do have confirmation now that the zyprexa does not sedate her at all. I did contact oregon they can't answer that obviously it's all dependant upon the child size etc. and reaction. Yes I agree she could strongly benefit from a refeeding therapist daily at this point. I do not have the patience to sit with her at each meal. also she does not listen to me when it comes to food so it's a no go with us working on it. Yet insurance won't approve more than 2x a week for this woman.

gotta call doctor today because she needs a long term medication again since we are almost done with-seroquel and that doesn't work for her anymore. This has always been difficult child regarding sleep. she tends to cycle dependant upon what's giong on with her. 4 days up and busy 3 crashing and sleeping. since birth. so, holidays are upon us not a whole lot i can do right now. the real sitting down and once again saying ok how do we change our approach will be next week.

Jena

also as with any phobia and that is what this truly is, you have to overcome it to some extent. some effort has to be made, especially with a girl who is now going to be 12 in a matter of months. she is very smart, does get that there is nothing medically wrong with her at this point as well. also knows that she has eaten some solids and has not choked, nor has she ever choked. i've also come to learn that eating disorders and i learned this from the doctor's does have a small piece of attention seeking to it as i said to SOME extent. they also state that alot of eating disorders are in some part due to the functioning of the family. that kinda hit hard for me like oh no did we create this? LOL. truth be known all sorts of factors play into our kids, biochemical, also genetics, and environmental.

anyway i'm going with zyprexa 2.5 at every meal, calling doctor to see what we can add in for sleep. she's holding her own physically, she is getting nutrients not as much as i'd like yet energy's up, and she is drinking the drinks with the junk in them to make up for the meals. i just want to clarify that so i don't get dramatic responses like last time :)

Josie

The therapist that worked with my daughter took the approach that her fear was keeping her from it and she could talk back to that fear. She would feel scared but she would see that the fear would go away. She started with small exposures that did make her afraid but were not overwhelming.

The trouble with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is that if the therapist says something won't happen, the fear part says "but what if it does?" and they can't get past that. That is where the "can't" comes in, in my opinion.

It isn't rational and doesn't go away with reasoning, if it is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

If you had an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) therapist, you could meet with them twice a week and they would give you specific things to work on with difficult child that you would do in between. They would help you and difficult child set reasonable goals for difficult child that would not be overwhelming to her, but would cause her to face her fear. difficult child and the therapist would decide what the goals were so your role would be support, not the enforcer. I could never get my daughter to do the exercises in between, so we had to get the therapist to come 3x a week and work with her for longer. We did have to pay out of pocket for that, but insurance did reimburse some of it.

Jena

i agree with-you 100% on that. I have a therapist starting with-difficult child next week. that's now the part i feel that i strongly missing in this picture. the refeeding woman although very nice can't connect a and b for her. i can't because it's a diff relationship. this therapist will be able to. so hopefully once she begins mtg. with-her next week and hopefully the medications by than will be in place solids will slowly come.

H

HaoZi

I would try skipping the dinner/night dose and strictly go with daytime dosing and see how it does for her sleep. Maybe give her warm milk in the evening, a warm bath with lavender scented stuff, cut off caffeine in the mid to late afternoon, and see if there's any improvement. And I'd be dragging her out of bed early in the hopes of wearing her down a bit before then, too. Hibernator and I are both insomniacs naturally, I know how it is when they're doing the "I don't want to go to bed I'm not tired" thing. Finding a quiet activity that's less stimulating than TV or computer might help, too.

Jena

those are all great ideas, yet my difficult child has been like this forever, it's a long long boring story lol. we've tried each and every approach known to man, as well as medications, herbals, etc. when she's manic she's manic and there hasnt' been a medication yet to bring her down. called doctor today hoping he'd prescribe something for sleep before holiday. ofcourse he didn't call back at all. so won't be able to reach him till monday

H

HaoZi

I know what you mean. Some days mine gets up at 3am! The clonidine has helped, she's usually out like a light about an hour after she takes it.