difficult child read to

Wiped Out

Staff member
me tonight. It was out of one of the Fly Guy books that are at about a first grade level. He only read a chapter but he read it mostly fluently with only a couple of questions that he was able to sound out.

This may not sound like much for a 6th grader but for my difficult child this was huge! I almost cried.

Of course, this was before he went back to acting the total difficult child!

tiredmommy

:beautifulthing: I had tears in my eyes reading your post. I glad he's developing some fluency... hopefully he will continue to show growth in this area. As for the rest of his behavior... sending a big cyber {{{hug}}}.

klmno

Hey, it's a great sign! You're doing a great job and he will get there- maybe not as far as a momma's dreams want but I think that happens a lot. It sure happened in this house. Congrats Mom- maybe he'll do this a few times thru the summer!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I bet your heart just filled with emotion hearing him read well. What a wonderful post.

nvts

Wow! That's huge! You need to pat yourself on the back for this one...I can picture you sitting with him and working on this for such a long time!

I used to love reading those books to the kids...then I had it pointed out in a very respectful way by difficult child 2, that there was something strange about Super Fly Guy's nose. difficult child 2 is my sweet aspie who can be a little too "up front" when pointing things out.

I've never been able to look at those books again!

Great work! You need to strut!

Beth

crazymama30

Great. I am glad you had a positive interaction with difficult child to give you the energy you need to get through the other times.

graceupongrace

What a great success story! Those tender moments enable us to hang on through the storm in hopes that we might see another.

Way to go -- (((hugs))) to both of you!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Oh, Sharon, I almost started crying when I read this. You get so few of these moments with difficult child. Hang onto this - hang onto the book to grasp that sweet memory in the worst of times.

difficult child deserves a big CD auntie hug for reading with mom. It's what we all want from our difficult children.

Stella

it's moments like these that give us that little bit of hope we need to keep going... it shows you that they are still "in there" somewhere...

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Wow! As a dyslexic mother of three kids with reading issues I know how significant that was! How long the hours to get there! Congratulations!