difficult child shares memories about psychiatric hospital

Andy

difficult child and the neighbor boy have figured out that they both were at the same psychiatric hospital. I think easy child talked to neighbor boy "H"'s mom while H was nearby last fall when difficult child was admitted. H is the same age as difficult child.

Tonight H went to VBS with difficult child. They were alone on the playground while I set up for tomorrow night's VBS. When I came out, they were both on the ground talking quietly. Didn't take me long to figure out they were comparing notes of the psychiatric hospital.

H was one of the youngest when he was there so I believe he was about 7 yrs old. difficult child was one of the oldest at 11 years old. It was interesting listening to their memories. They even discussed what they each did the day they were discharged.

They both said they cried all night the 1st night and the first few days were hard but once they got used to the process it was o.k. Both moms also cried. They loved the fact that school was only two hours. Craft time was their all time favorite. Breakfast was awesome!

I wonder what started this conversation? Whatever the reason, it did help with bed time tonight. :) difficult child was down stairs and it sounded like he was annoying easy child. I called him upstairs and he actually came! Wow, wonder of wonders - never obeys once the sister annoying side emerges. He asked me what I wanted and I told him he was to go to bed. He actually did! I have this feeling that the psychiatric hospital memories have something to do with this?

Both boys agree that although it was a good experience for them, they do not want to go back.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think that's good he found someone his age to share that experience, that memory with. I know for my difficult child with a chronic disease, it helps him process some of the stuff he's been through if he can bounce it off a peer who's been there done that. And I bet you are right that he may have been more responsive tonight just thinking about the stuff he talked about today...

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree that it's good he found someone he could talk with and share his experiences with. It's great he did such a good job tonight and it probably did have something to do, maybe he was in a better place for having been able to share his memories.

LittleDudesMom

Could have been the memories that helped with his behavior, but it could have simply just been.

I think it's great that difficult child was able to hold a conversation with this neighbor boy without shame and anger. It shows maturity. Good for him.

Sharon

Having someone to talk to that isn't above him is therapeutic in itself (*gasp* the start of a friendship?) But that they share this common bond makes it stronger. Hope things continue to blossom and he continues on the path of reverted behaviors!