difficult child tried out for Volleyball. Finds out today if she makes it.

Jody

Please send extra good thoughts, wishes and prayers for difficult child. She tried out for volleyball and coach mentioned that she might be made a "manager" for the team. difficult child is still hoping that she makes it as a regular player. She was on the basketball team as an alternate and would like to just make it as a regular player. She has made it to the last 7 people, out of 60 something that were cut. Thank you.

buddy

OH gosh, a difficult child needs this more than anything... to feel included and validated. I sure hope it works out. Let us know ok?

Nancy

Good luck to you daughter, I hope she makes it. Sports are so important to our difficult children in many ways.

Nancy

Jody

Yes, she really has worked hard to be on this team, harder than i have seen her work for anything in a long time. I am so proud of her for her efforts. Hopefully they will pay off.

DDD

I'm rootin' for her but am sure her stomach is flip flopping as she waits to hear the results. The memories of that high school stress is still vivid after more than fifity years. Hugs DDD

Jody

Thanks for all your support and well wishes. difficult child did not make the team as a player, but as a manager, she is distraught and so hurt. I feel so badly for her because she wanted it so badly and she really needed it. I told her to be the manager for a year and get the extra practice for next year and she would be sure to make it freshman year. She cried and said she just wanted to be a normal player. I told her how proud I was of her and it just didn't seem to help, maybe if I didn't see that it helped, it still will. I do wish something could just be easy for her, sometimes.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:sigh:

Give her a hug for me. I didn't make many teams at all, in fact I never even made manager or alternate.

I volunteered as statistician for the wrestlers my sophomore & junior years. YAWN. But... I couldn't PLAY.

I know how she feels.

InsaneCdn

Jody -
What is going to make the difference is how the team and members treat the team manager(s).
I've seen it go both ways...
Sometimes, they are "just" side-line helpers.
Sometimes, though... they are treated as team members... they just don't get to play games. If she can feel like she really belongs, it will help.

It will also help if the coach can tip her off on some over-and-beyond things that a manager can do, that really help the team... ways to make herself visible to more than just the team...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh I am SO sorry for the disappointing news -- I know how painful stuff like that is. :(

I think your advice to her was perfect. Hopefully she'll come around and accept the new situation with grace enough to make the best of it.

buddy

hug and kiss to difficult child. Poor girl. I always hated gym and sports not actually doing it but the way it made some feel like winners and some like losers. I like gym classes that teach life fitness etc. Games can be played for fun and you can win and lose in a game but not be kicked out and made to feel like a loser.

I know sports are great for many, but they are usually the ones who are included or do well.

DDD

I'm sorry and understand her disappointment. From many many years observing and being a team Mom in a variety of sports I'd like to offer unsolicited advice. Hmm...I do have that tendency, lol. If it is possible (I don't know her personality, of course) have a conversation with her about the opportunity she now has to impress the Coach with her enthusiasm, dedication, selflessness etc. etc. as Manager.
I have never met a Coach who didn't observe everyone involved with the team. If she can show that she really is stepping up to the plate to help the team every day and she takes every bit of time to improve her own skills I am positive she will have a much better chance of being chosen next time. on the other hand, if she appears disappointed or distracted etc. she will be indicating lack of team spirit. I've seen it work both ways. Of course genuinely helping the team members is likey to endear her to them also. It's hard to do but there are life lessons available to her. Our world, her school, the church and businesses of all sizes operate only because of support personnel. Sending cyber hugs to you both. DDD

InsaneCdn

It doesn't often happen this way, but... the best school team we ever had (basketball), ended up on a run for the city champs... and, with just a couple games to go, lost a member (broke a leg or something like that). Without a pool of people to pull from - we were too small anyway, but it was too late in the season to learn teamwork - they pulled one of the MANAGERS onto the team, and he even got court time... the other team members had practiced with this guy, just hadn't done a "live game"... HE stepped up to the plate.

Not sure how it works where you are... but???

Nancy

I'm sorry Jody. But she can prove a lot to the coach by being the best manager she can be. Hopefully next year she will be a shoe-in because of her experience.

Nancy