difficult child Very Destructive

MICHL

He's always broken alot of things in his tantrums/rages, but recently it's the hood over the oven- He hit it, and a couple screws fell out and now it's loose, one telephone and the earpiece to another, screen door, dresser drawer (kicked it), and probably more things that i can't think of right now. He's a total nightmare.

JJJ

Have you considered a psychiatric hospital stay to try and get a handle on it? maybe a medication change? At 16, if he does that outside your home, the police won't be very friendly.

DammitJanet

I think I have to agree with JJJ. At 16 he can be considered an adult in many states and charged as an adult for his actions. They wont care if he has issues. I cant tell you how many times I had to attempt to talk cops out of taking Cory in after he was cuffed in the backseat of patrol cars because he had run his mouth off at someone. Luckily it was only his mouth. If he had done damage there would have been nothing I could have done.

crazymama30

I agree. If he is 16, if something happens outside of the home it won't be good. If he needs a psychiatric hospital stay it does not mean you are a bad parent by anymeans, or that he is a bad kid, it just means that he needs help.

MICHL

He trailed so many medications when he was younger to arrived at abilify & tenex. I don't know what good could come of a psychiatric hospital stay, also i'm with kaiser and i think they are pretty cheap regarding that, if it could be done on an outpatient visit. He's always been destructive so it's nothing new, but it's not usually outside the home. Hopefully it won't be outside the home ever, or if it is, after 18. Most recently he tried low dose of celexa for depression that his counselor thought he has (I dont), but even low dose he seems to sleep so late in the morning we tapered off it. Didn't see any improvement in his behavior while he was on it, even though he said it helped when asked, i wasn't convinced. I know the dr. is going to ask if we could give it in the morning, but the problem with that is we can't give any medications in the morning before school because that is when his is most oppositional. The bus comes early. Many times husband calls me at and says difficult child refused to get on bus.. Ugh.

Marguerite

difficult child 3 can get rough on things and break them. We make him either repair it, help with the repair or stand and watch. Most recently (a week ago) it was the latch on the garden gate - he slammed the gate so hard, the latch fell off and needed to be re-attached.

Marg

InsaneCdn

We didn't get past the destructiveness until we got to the bottom of a VERY LONG list of problems... Now that we're solving base-line issues, physical agression is going down... still get verbal but can walk through it.
But we're not on the spectrum (some traits, but way too far from diagnostic cut-off). medications + technology + accommodations + interventions + + + + ...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Destructiveness is so frustrating (not to mention expensive). I know how difficult it is when they don't want to take medications and I know it's easier said than done but in our house difficult child's life stops until he takes his medications. No tv, no games, nothing. If he makes it extremely difficult we take away privileges for later in the day. This usually helps immensely for us. Hugs-I so hate destructiveness, we have all sorts of damage done to our house from difficult child.

KTMom91

There are still holes in the walls and a missing bedroom door from Miss KT's teenage "temper tantrums."

ready2run

our difficult child is also increadibly distructive. he's only 6 and he's already on his 3rd bed. he has broken 2 windows, literally torn walls apart. now i make him clean it up if it's not too dangerous. i also make him wipe up his messes, as he likes to smear feces so the last time he did so he cleaned it and now it has been several months so maybe that worked. only time will tell. i also take away things he wants to help offset the cost(or so he's told.) so when his brothers/sister each get a new hotwheels car he doesn't get one because 'i can't afford it because i had to pay to fix the thing you broke.' i have no idea if this will actually work or not, as he is only 6 and needs to repeat the same mistakes many times before learning, if he learns.