difficult child Views on Medication - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
"No, Mom - I haven't stopped taking my medication....

I just don't take it."

Well, you have an appointment to see the doctor for a medication check next week. What do we tell him?

Blank look: "What do you mean? Tell him exactly what I said."

:919Mad:

exhausted

What is wrong with us that we just cannot follow the disturbing path of a teenage frontal cortex?? Holy cow! We must be sane!!!:consoling:

buddy

Scary thing is, I found myeslf trying to figure it out... LOL

I was thinking ... well maybe she means she is not doing the start stop thing... she just quit period...not gonna do it.

then I thought, Dee, duh... bottom line here is all that matters.... I dont know why, I just found myself trying to figure her thinking out.

T

TeDo

Buddy, don't feel bad. I was doing the same thing. It is our new nature. It is a learned adaptive behavior stemming from situational factors of our environment (having difficult child's) that is needed to survive. Whew. As difficult child 1 would say, don't I just sound "smartical".

DF, let us know what the psychiatrist says when difficult child tells him she just doesn't take her medications. I would be very curious to hear about his reaction. Good luck.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

pepperidge

I think she means she hasn't made a conscious, rational, informed decision to stop taking her medication, but rather that she couldn't be bothered to take it for no particularly logical or good reason...can we spell difficult child?! Sorry.....

buddy

yes pepper, I think that seems a good description, haha

(way off topic... I just noticed I became a maniac here...LOL)

B

Bunny

Definately something that a difficult child would say.

Good luck at the medication check next week.

crazymama30

I am sure interested to know what her explanation will be to psychiatrist, because I am sure psychiatrist will ask what she means!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Yup, she's sharing a brain with Onyxx...

Maybe Onyxx's Residential Treatment Center (RTC) will come through to difficult child too???!

InsaneCdn

DF... take it at face value. Including the split between refusing to/stopping/just not taking...

Obviously, SHE doesn't see/feel any or enough benefit to be worth the effort.

Some kids are only interested in medications that have impact THEY can measure... it affects which ones we try, and how high we start at... because we have to get a "hit rate" really fast... need the benefits before or as soon as the side-effects. 'Cause if the side effects are noticable (i.e. not life-threatening, but affects how difficult child has to live, like not gettin up quickly from a chair...), and the benefits are NOT noticable... the tendency is to end up with some form of refusal (either outright refusal, or "forgetting").

And yes, bring this up to the psychiatrist. Whatever she needs to take, needs to be worth it for HER.

Marguerite

We were getting difficult child 3 to organise his own medications and take them himself, but he was getting later and later, more and more lax with resultant behaviour problems. So I've gone back to waking him in the morning with his pills and watching him take them. He goes back to sleep for a little while but at least I know the medications are on board.

The difference is - GF3 is not medication-resistant.

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I think she means she hasn't made a conscious, rational, informed decision to stop taking her medication, but rather that she couldn't be bothered to take it for no particularly logical or good reason...can we spell difficult child?! Sorry.....

Yes - I think this is it exactly.

And the part that makes me so %$&^*^ mad about this?

I made a stink down at County MH to get difficult child a medication-check appointment! She had been monitered every three months...and then due to staff and budget cuts, clients were cut to being seen ONCE A YEAR. I think this is incredibly irresponsible - especially when these CHILDREN are being given powerful drugs. So I complained and made a big scene to get this appointment...

and now I have to go in and tell them "Oh, no, difficult child hasn't stopped taking her medication - she just doesn't take it. Should we adjust the dosage?"

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Argh! You're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel for you.

Yes.

But I fixed it....

I called County MH today and asked them to relay a message directly to the prescribing doctor "difficult child wants you to know that she didn't stop taking her medication - she's just not taking it....therefore she does not need a "medication-check" at this time."

OK - no need for me to run around like crazy to get difficult child to her appointment.

Marg's Man

I'm surprised Marg didn't mention it.

We had a heck of a time with difficult child 1 for a while. He couldn't see the need for his medications so he stopped taking them, palming them to avoid it. Naturally his behaviour deteriorated but he still couldn't see a problem although he had noticed that the number of a**holes around him had increased. Why was that? HE felt fine but WE wanted to kill him! We used to say "You take them for your health. No; you won't get sick if you don't take your medications but they stop other people from wanting to hurt you."

The very fact that a kid needs the medications shows that they are not able to discern the need for them.

Marg's Man