difficult child Visited Out of District Program Today

jal

Just a little update on difficult child's out of district placement. We visited the program today and he got over his initial anxiety pretty quickly and finally entered the classroom. The kids introduced themselves and difficult child intriduced himself and shook hands and waved. The teachers commented on how polite he is. At least we have that! He got into enjoying some activities and they saw very quickly how he is going to need a sensory diet and Occupational Therapist (OT). husband and I visited on our own a bit ago and were unerved about making this decision and decided to go ahead, but I felt so much more impressed with this visit, probably due to difficult child being there and having a good time. Spoke with-the therapist at length and she had nothing but high praise for his future teacher. She also has worked with the program for 21 years. So I have a much better comfort level that this is what difficult child needs at this time. She also may have a lead on a small daycare for difficult child since he just lost his 5th one - UGH!

smallworld

I'm glad difficult child like the program and you felt good about the program as well.

I think I told you in another post that my son is in his first year of a self-contained ED program for emotionally fragile high schoolers. While it't not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (what school is?), my son is making slow progress and we feel it's the right place for him to be at this point. Just remember that these sorts of placements don't have to be forever decisions.

Best of luck to you and your difficult child.