difficult child wants family therapy

F

flutterbee

So I can learn that I *have* to talk to her even when it's annoying. Like the circular arguments that she tries to go into for hours upon hours. Like the suggestions that I give and *nothing* works for her. She is *completely* different from any other person on this planet.

Oh, and you have to know what prompted this. This is just the best.

She was cold. Told her to put on a sweater and socks or slippers. Socks or slippers just make her feet sweat and still cold and a sweater won't work because her hands and feet will still be cold. Told her to run her hands under warm water. That doesn't work because as soon as she gets her hands out they're cold. Told her to take a warm shower. That doesn't work cause she has to get out. Told her to cover up with a blanket. Told her to use the space heater in her room. That doesn't work either. The space heater doesn't work. Told her that was amazing because it will roast me out of my room. Isn't it amazing how nothing works for her? And it still wasn't good enough because I didn't have an answer for her that would work for her. Even though she refuses to try any of the suggestions and just decides arbitrarily that they won't work. It's like this with *everything*. Literally.

So, I told her I was done and I guess she'd just have to figure it out. Then she tells me that I have to talk to her even if it annoys me. Even when she's using that nasty tone that she swears she's not using. And she wants to go to family therapy so I can learn that.

:rofl: :faint:

I told her I was all for it. Yes, let's do family therapy. Works for me.

She's so much fun. :hammer:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sorry, shouldn't probably be laughing but I love it. Isn't it funny how some of our kids don't want us to talk to them and here's Wynter saying you have to talk to her even if you find it annoying!

That first family therapy meeting should be very interesting!

Jena

Oh Heather, wow yes she is alot of fun......... :) Reminds me of my 15 year old.

You have great patience. Just breath...................

:)

meowbunny

rofao.pmp

Wonder what she's going to do when the therapist clues her in that you DON'T have to talk to her when she's annoying or being rude or ......?

TerryJ2

Whew! Interesting point of view. You HAVE to listen to her. Heh.
I once read that humans don't HAVE to do anything except eat, sleep, and die.

witzend

M used to use "I want to talk to our therapist about this" knowing full well that the appointment was days or weeks away and that he could avoid the conversation altogether because somehow when we got there the situation was long past and "not worth dwelling upon." Can you say "Triangulation"?

B

butterflydreams

Don't you just love teenage girls! ;) I think she will be surprised at the therapist's reaction to this one!

Christy

'Chelle

Hmmmmm Heather....so you have things to learn. LMAO Isn't it always amazing how much they can learn in 13 short years that we as parents haven't learned in over 30 or more. Hope she does do a family therapy session with you with a good therapist and she finds out that no, you DON'T have to listen to ongoing, argumentative, disrespectful rants. My easy child will go on and on, and I've come to the point where I do the same as you, once she starts saying the same arguement over and over, I just say I'm done, I've said all I have to and need to, no more, and refuse to talk about it anymore.