difficult child wants to be a robber

TerryJ2

...for Halloween. He wants to go to Target and look through clothes and costumes so he can figure out how one would dress. It was everything I could do not to say, "Why, so you can look like yourself?" :tongue::surprise:
A robber. Okay, not the same as a petty thief.
Maybe I should be thankful he doesn't want to carry a chainsaw. But it would be nice if he could be a baseball player or pirate again ...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
...for Halloween. He wants to go to Target and look through clothes and costumes so he can figure out how one would dress. It was everything I could do not to say, "Why, so you can look like yourself?" :tongue::surprise:
A robber. Okay, not the same as a petty thief.

:laughing: I'm sorry, but that was funny!

Last year, both daughters stepped way out of character. easy child went as Bobbette the Builder, complete with a push up bra and mini skirt and borrowed one of H's toolbelts. And difficult child went as a beautiful fairytale-like angel...I mean talk about complete opposites. Wow. ;)

Andy

I am just wondering how kids know about witches and vampires and monsters. My cousin's 3 yr old wants to go as a witch. My cousin found her a darling outfit (when you are 3 you get to be a super cute witch). But it got me thinking, how do kids know about these creepy characters?

Last year difficult child was in the psychiatric hospital on Halloween so missed out on trick or treating. He was having a very scary night as he really felt the devil was coming to get him that night. No idea where that thought came from. The neighbor was super nice and when difficult child came home a week later, he was able to put on his pirate custom (with a treasure chest box to gather treats) and trick and treat at her home.

We have a very fun evening - the neighborhood kids get together and as a group trick or treat in the neighborhood. We go to the local mall for trick or treating to businesses, to Dominos for pizza and pop (free) and to Papa Murphy's for free cookie dough then to friend's homes.

Any way, how do the kids know to want to be the "seasonal" characters?

house of cards

My kids always want me to dress up. I tell them I am in costume, I go as a mean mom. But I feel like I play mean mom so much, I should probably go as a nice mom.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Terry

How about a black and white striped pullover shirt, a pair of black sweats, and find a black scarf you can cut holes for the eyes, and top it off with a black knit hat. Give him a pillow case for his "loot". lol

Actually, I think it's a cute original idea.

Of course this is from someone who's daughter wanted to grow up to be a criminal mastermind. :rofl:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Maybe he can dress as Jesse James, the train bandit? I did that a million years ago. Still better than dressing as a bum, which I always thought was so lame. And these days, it's probably not politically correct to do so? ;)

DammitJanet

You could get him an orange jump suit and get a large felt tip pen and write numbers on the back and put PROPERTY OF THE COUNTY PEN on it...lol.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I dressed as a bum once....wait what am I wearing today...anyway.....

I guess it could have been something scary like say hmmmmmm well I can't say what I am thinking because I would probably get in trouble for the joke (but think political and you would understand).

beth

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmm this is so not funny, but when I read your post my 1st thought was my difficult child (I) is a robber, sigh..............

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe you can find a HAMBURGULAR costume on line and GET THAT! Kinda inhales the fun out of the shocking your Mom.......

Gobble gobble gobble.....(isn't that what he said - you know when he stole happy meal hamburgers?)

TerryJ2

LOL.
I like the orange jumpsuit idea.
And the stripes. Jesse James is good, too.
But he wants to wear a wifebeater shirt. (I had to have him explain what that was.)
Ick.
I told him he had to model his proposed costume for his dad and me for our approval. He couldn't figure out why we were making such a big deal out of it.
He promised not to wear pants that were so baggy they showed his butt or boxer shorts.
I fnally gave in and told him that after what he did with-the neighbors, and the fact that the police have already been to our house, and the fact that he is not a cute, tiny 6-yr-old any more, all combine to make it so that he can further damage his already tarnished reputation around the neighborhood. I told him that he is too tall and it may scare people when they open the door. When people open the door to trick-or-treaters, they want to laugh and be entertained, not scared or worried.

I could see he hadn't considered that angle b4.

I would definitely give in if he went for the blk and wht striped jail house outfit. Campy and corny is good.

We shall see.

Meanwhile, I spent $7 on a pr of Sarah Palin glasses and it will be the cheapest Halloween outfit I will ever wear. All I have to do is pull my hair back, cover my freckles with-foundation, wear lots of lipstick, put on a suit and high heels, and wear a cpl of campain buttons, one that says the name, and the other one that says "I hunt caribou." Or something.
And I'll have to practice saying, "You bet," and "gotcha" and "yep."

One yr I went as Lois Lane and despite my 40's suit and homemade pillbox hat, and big "REPORTER" nametag, no one could figure out who I was until husband stood next to me in his Superman outfit, LOL.

KTMom91

I went as Pikachu for several years. Yes, I was in my 40's at the time! I got the mask at Walmart, found a giant yellow sweatshirt, black leggings, and my mom made me a tail out of yellow felt. I painted brown and black accents on the tail, and then found it was so big I had to pin the top of it to my sweatshirt.

Went to a Harvest Festival at church, and had a string of little Pikachu following me. I don't know if they thought that "the big one" was the real one, but it was really funny having this bright yellow crowd wandering around saying, "Pika? Pika? Pikachu!"

trinityroyal

These are a hoot!

I think my favourite was the year that I convinced 2 friends of mine to dress up with me as Diana Ross and the Supremes. I made 3 matching gold lame mini dresses. 2 of them had to be HUGE, because my 2 friends were guys from the football team. They didn't shave their legs or chins or anything. Both agreed to let me backcomb their hair a bit and tie gold ribbon in their running shoes for laces.

It was a blast!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The last three years we've thrown a Halloween party for our kids and their respective classes and/or soccer teams. We average about 60 kids each year, spread out in three groups. Not doing it this year -- I am too wiped. Last year was the first time husband dressed up in 18 years (Paxil did amazing things for his social life ;) ) -- he went as Captain Jack Sparrow, while I was his creepy pirate wench, complete with black teeth :D It was a blast! Exhausting work, but a blast.

Not sure what my kiddos will be doing this year. We get essentially NO ONE in our neighborhood because of living in the hills and so few kids in our particular tract of homes. Most folks prefer the flatlands. We got passes to Disneyland last month, so maybe we'll just go there for the night and leave a bowl of candy on the porch in case a rare trick-or-treater comes by.

Last edited:

Andy

OMG GCV, the child on the left (skeleton) looks so much like my difficult child! Maybe it is the smile! They are beautiful kids. Is that your front door? How fun! I want to go to Disneyland with you this year.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, that's our front door :D It looked even spookier in the dark -- orange and purple mini lights around the door frame and a black flourescent light hanging overhead. I should post pictures of the inside on another post -- we went crazy on it.

We'll meet you at the front gate at Disney, ok? difficult child 2 will have his Goofy hat on! (How appropriate!)