difficult child Will Not Stop Talking!!

B

Bunny

Holy cow!! It's 7:19 am and I already am tired of listening to him!

I know that it's his anxiety coming out because we're waiting for the hurricane to hit, and he knows that school is closed today and tomorrow because of it. He's sitting here watching the news with me, and I am trying to be patient with him because I know he's nervous but his constant chatter is going to drive me crazy if I have to listen to this all day.

He's already asking if I plan on keep him occupied ALL DAY LONG.

I think that it's going to be a really long day.

DDD

I remember those days well. You have my sympathy. Don't know the personalitites involved but any chance a BIG jig saw puzzle would keep him busy in a family goal. Sending hugs. DDD

B

Bunny

Once the power goes out we'll play board games and things like that to keep busy. easy child is up now (he was still sleeping this morning when I first posted) and that helps because easy child will help keep difficult child occupied. I made a big breakfast (pancakes and bacon) so they are well fed, and right now they are down in the basement shooting targets with their Nerf guns. That usually keeps them busy for a while.

JJJ

And when the power goes out...all the ice cream in the freezer will need to be eaten...with chopsticks...that will take some time.

buddy

Does the news make it worse? Can you Just check in once in a while? I was just watching interviews with kids about this. Some of the kids felt better with their own emergency kits.. I can't imagine how prepared you have to be on top of all of the other stuff you have to cope with. Let us know youre ok as soon as you can!

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

I remember those days! Maybe you can all play the Quiet Game? First person to make a sound loses. I used to LOVE that game when my kids were little!

Stay safe, and maybe look at this as a way to make a good memory. Some of my fondest childhood memories were of storms when we had to go to the basement for a tornado or else the thunder woke me up an my folks would sit and cuddle me and talk about the storms. I still remember bro and I hiding under my dad's desk in the basement during a storm with a lot of tornado activity. We took turns wearing his motorcycle helmet and his construction hard hat. It was the only time we were allowed to wear them and we LOVED them!

DammitJanet

Kids do get really worried about these storms. My kids grew up living in hurricane alley and they would get antsy when hurricanes came through. I dont want to say thankfully, but by the time my kids were in middle elementary and early junior high ages, I was working red cross shelters so they went with me and helped out. It kept them from worrying so much about what was going on because they were busy doing things.

Where you are its going to get quite interesting so I might let your son actually do something to ease his anxiety. Maybe use a camera to take pictures out a window every 15 minutes or half hour so he can document whats happening. Then he can make a scrapbook about this major storm. I dont know how bad it is out right now but maybe he could document before and after. Does he have a relative he can talk to on the phone every so often that he can tell what is happening?

DammitJanet

Bunny, I hope you guys are okay. I watched all the footage about Long Island and worried about you. Hopefully the boys made it through without too much trauma.