difficult child with ADHD and Childhood Onset Bipolar Disorder (COBP)

BusynMember

I just met four adults who are classically aspie and one belongs to campus social groups and the group of 4 hang out. Two were finishing shared stories for eachother....all have had ongoing social skills training. I thpught one was a class aide! I think their definition of friends is different in some ways but I really believe they can have friends now.

Anyway when kids are young they can make "friends" easily thru chase games and other things, the type and levels of play along with the back and forth conversation has to be analyzed before you can really figure it out. It is often more superficial than typical peer level friends.

Oh, sure. As adults some learn how. My son has a BFF now and it has transformed his life and happiness and he can talk and goof around with others too (he does have to get to know them well first). I was talking mostly about kids, before they learn how to socialize. And, sadly, some Aspies are always lonely. And others don't mind being alone, but most do mind. The middle years were the worst for my son, when socializing meant more than just running around. He became pretty isolated, aside from his Special Education class.

I'm so sorry. Thought you meant aspie children!!!! MY BAD (slapping myself)

buddy

Yeah, q gets lonely and jealous but doesn't know how to take a friendship beyond just hanging out. I love hearing about your son, mwm .....gives me lots of hope.

BusynMember

Buddy, he only has this one kid he hangs with. The others are from work and Special Olympics and he did have a table of kids he sat with at school...kids who were probably mostly Aspies...lol. He did not seem to want to hang with them outside of school. The socializing started with his job services. I highly recommend Special Olympics too. The kids find other kids who are at their levels and everyone makes all feel welcome. Special Olympics has boosted my son's social skills more than anything else, both with other special needs adults and with typicals. He is a different kid and it's because of Special Olympics. Although technically it is for kids with cognitive deficiencies, there are a lot of autistic kids in the group.