difficult child's "illness"

klmno

I posted about this last night on the WC, but now it seems more appropriate over here. If it was mono, would/could he be extremely fatigued for several days (like 5) before having any other symptoms? Now he's saying his throat hurts (I do feel a swolen gland on one side this morning), his ear hurts, and he thinks he has a sinus drip (no sniffling). We're checking his temperature right now. It's 99.2.

And the other issue- I thought it was a mood cycling problem last week because difficult child's sleeping habits went awry and he was exhibiting his tell-tale cleaning binges and periodic excessive talking in between way too much sleep. So, I now have a psychiatrist appointment for him first thing in the morning. We have dental appts tomorrow afternoon. Yet, now it seems like he should go to the dr instead of these two appts but it's too late to cancel them. I stayed home with difficult child Friday, we have Thanksgiving this week and I seriously need to put some hours in at work.

Suggestions? I don''t know if this is serious enough to take him to the doctor in the box today or not.

M

ML

Something is definitely going on and those low grade temps tend to indicate infection.He may have a virus? I'm by far no medical person, but I've taken my kid in tons of times when I shouldn't have and once or twice didn't when I should have. If he seems relatively comfortable, the fever stays relatively low and he seems stable, I would wait till tomorrow. But I definitely would take him in tomorrow unless you see improvement. But again, I don't always make that right "call". I sure hope he feels better soon. I hate that worry we get when our kids get these vague illnesses that could be anything from over-reacting to a scratch to pnemonia. Hugs ML

smallworld

I'd take him to the doctor in the box to rule in or out strep, which can cause fatigue for several days before other sx appear. Furthermore, strep can cause mood changes.

M

ML

Go with what Smallworld said lol.

The only reason I ever put off the box docs is because my insurance co-pay is double on weekends.

If it's strep obviously the sooner the better he gets those antib's.

Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

klmno

Ok- I'll have to wait a bit since I just put all my needed clothes into the wash. LOL!

Thanks!

Actually, he was showing signs of depression starting a few weeks ago. This is typical for him this time of year. I did find it odd when it started loopking like real cycling earlier last week. I guess catching a bug or having some physical illness could knock a depressive episode into true cycling since the chemical balance would change and the sleep gets even more out of whack.

I wonder what psychiatrist is going to say about this- he'll probably take it like "crying wolf"....

TerryJ2

having some physical illness could knock a depressive episode into true cycling since the chemical balance would change and the sleep gets even more out of whack.

That makes sense to me.
Once you're at the doctor-in-the-box. you should be able to get a strep test as well as a monospot.
I hope he feels better!

M

ML

My thought is that it is always better to be called over-reactive than neglectful. That's why I always err on the side of caution.

If doctor has the audacity to say that I'd howl at him!

Andy

I would keep the psychiatrist appointment and try to get into the regular doctor tomorrow (if you don't do the doctor in the box route or are not satisfied with today's visit). It should not be too late to cancel the dentist. Call them in the morning (after you get the doctor appointment for difficult child) and explain that difficult child is sick. He should not be going to the dentist if he is sick.

I would think the dentist will not mind the cancellations. If they are like the one I worked for, there are tons of emergency call ins on Monday mornings as well as a waiting list several pages long.

So, if you can get him into the regular doctor and still have him see the psychiatrist tomorrow, you will have your bases covered.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K ALWAYS gets worse when she is getting sick. But it is hard to see, until she is actually sick!
I hope he is sick, then at least it would explain some things. Not sick sick. Just a little sick! :)

klmno

I didn't take him today- maybe I should have as I really did plan on it. But, we also have the insurance issue and it can cost a lot more. Then, he seemed to feel better so I didn't take him...

smallworld

Then keep the psychiatrist appointment and perhaps try to get into the pediatrician tomorrow if he still seems sick.

Hope he's on the mend soon.

klmno

He's been pretty obnoxious and on the verge of raging the past 2 hours. He was sitting in here when I posted a few mins ago so I didn't write that then. I talked with him yesterday about the possible need for him to live some place else for a while and that it wouldn't mean that I was turning my back on him or giving up parental rights. He asked if that meant he would be adopted- I assured him NO WAY, not in this situation or at his age.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh I'm sorry. I don't know how you must feel.
How strong of you though to talk to him, to try and keep him part of this and help him understand the whole process.

B

butterflydreams

klmno,

I'm sorry you are having problems with difficult child. It is so hard for us to watch this going on and make those decisions. My heart goes out to you.

Christy

klmno

I started another thread on that (see "psychiatrist adds an AD")- then, we went to the dentist, too!

Thanks for asking!