difficult child's input on his tri-annual IEP review!

LittleDudesMom

Tomorrow is difficult child's tri-annual IEP meeting. I've been chatting with him a little for the last week to just get some classroom input on a few of the accoms and mods that are in his IEP (how they are working, are they happening, etc. - his academic and behavioral benchmarks are 99% reached). So tonight we sit down for the serious talk before tomorrow's meeting.

I have already typed up just a few points and a couple questions to be included as parent input. I wanted his. We went over his IEP and here's his input:

Don't need preferential seating.
Don't need time out space.
Don't need alternative oral assessments.
Don't need oral presentation in place of written report/research.
Dont' need copies of notes anymore.
Don't need "plain english" math SOL.
Don't need agenda check for homework.
Don't need 1:1

He left access of calculator for math and science and access of computer for lengthy assignments and standardized writing (english) testing.

I asked him if he felt he really needed an IEP. His response, "probably not, but it makes me feel special!" :groan:

I will also keep time out space since his 1:1 is rarely with him now anyway. Should he need some "chill" time, I want it clear he is not to be penalized by a teacher for taking the time. He is on every-other-week consultative and I will recommend monthly.

We've come a long way baby. For those of you who remember the raging, depressed, lost little boy when I first came here, this is almost on miracle level..:thumbsup:

Makes a mom proud.

Thanks for reading,
Sharon

P.S. Please leave all board jinxs at the door. Thank you.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am smiling too!!! This is just wonderful!!!! He sure has grown and matured a whole lot - GOOD JOB to the entire family!!!!!!! :bravo::its_all_good::woohoo:

I would NOT agree to get rid of the IEP - remember the problems that MWM had getting her daughter's IEP back??? Step it down in stages, so that he has that net if problems arise, Know what I mean???

This is just awesome news!!

LittleDudesMom

Oh, I'm not going to end the IEP! I will be keeping the BIP and the SOL (testing) accoms and the access to computer and calculator.

It will be interesting to see what they have to say today. This will be my first IEP meeting at the high school. I kinda want to go in and just let them conduct and see what happens......

Sharon

that brought such a smile to my face too....he sounds like *such* an insightful kid...you must be so proud!!

but are you positive his "dont needs" are really "dont needs" and just not "i no longer want to be different that anyone else"?

i think its awesome he can tell you this "dont needs" but just think it through very carefully and make sure he really "doesnt need" before you get rid of things that might be helpful to him. (i'm kinda lol'ing at no need for copies of notes...i'd think most NT kids even would beg for such a thing, ROFL)

i think too that now that he's been in hs for a few months a good question might be "what else *DO* you think you might need?" (could be anything from I don't know, need more time in the locker room, need to use a key lock for locker if he still has a rough time with the combination lock, or whatever he might perceive as something tough)

maybe he's completely right about his "don't needs".

and that pretty much is what we strive for, right?! :bravo:

LittleDudesMom

Confuzzled,

difficult child was originally tested for an IEP back when he was in third grade. That was actually the last time he had really in-depth testing. At that time, his depression, anger, frustration, sense of entitlement, unwillingness to do schoolwork, incredible lack of impulse control and intense hyperactivity were at an all time high. Many of his frustrations came from his difficulty with writing and his, at the time, low reading level and major difficulties socially. He was never actually diagnosis'd with a math disability, but he was placed in resource for math because the class was 7 students instead of 28 and he had known the teacher for years and most of the kids were with him in resource language arts.

His 4th and 5th grade years in elementary were years of growth academically. The resource teachers were great and his spelling improved, his reading came up to grade level, but he still struggled with slight dysgraphia. Once he entered middle school, he was placed on consultative and also in collaborative classes (they did not have resource other than for extreme academic or emotional need students). He did well academically, had some great teachers and every year his behavior improved.

His ability to take notes has DRASTICALLY improved. We have challenged him to do it on his own and, if there was an issue, assured him I would address it with the teacher. With work and practice, his writing ability got better and better as time went by. It was gradual, but it happened. One thing that was really important to me is that he be challenged from time to time to "operate" like "everyone else" to see if some of the accommodations and modifications could be considered crutches as the years progressed.

At his annual review last February, both his math and language arts teachers were there and both said that they honestly felt he was ready to go "total mainstream" and not need a collaborative setting.

So, I think this has been in the works for awhile, but it's great to actually hear difficult child being honest. It shows maturity to me.

Funny you should mention the locker. difficult child, since entering middle school, has never used his locker! He carries his lunch box and his messenger bag all day. He ties his sweat jacket around his waste. Not that he thinks he will forget the combo, he just fears being late for class! A little anxiety thrown in for good measure!

Sharon

LittleDudesMom

Well, it's all mute.

Got a call as I was rushing out of the office 15 minutes before the meeting - assistant principal called to postpone the meeting (for the second time) due to the two hour delay this morning - he said things were too hectic!

Reschedule date is 2/8.

Thanks Wendy!

Sharon