difficult child's medical mystery solved

susiestar

Roll With It
What strength prilosec? It is available OTC at 2 mg and rx at 40 mg. Depending on your insurance, it may be helpful to buy the otc and take two capsules. My pharmacist and every doctor I have seen in the last few years has said this and so have J's doctors. Omeprazole is the generic name and it is almost the same price at Sams ad at Walmart, maybe a two dollar difference for 42 (20mg) doses - right around fifteen or sixteen dollars.

Prilosec works by turning the pumps that make acid in your stomach turn off. It isn't immediate help, but can be very helpful. I am so very sorry she has these. Esp as they are bacterial. I know how much that stinks.

Given the frequent upset stomachs and vomiting over the last eyar or so, she MUST see a dentist. Her teeth can erode due to vomiting a lot. There are things the dentist may be able to do to help. Toothpaste for sensitive teeth is a good starting point.

I don't know if you have looked into what medications are used and what they do to help, but I can give you some information. There are different types of medications that are used to help with ulcers. Some are for the bacteria that can cause the ulcers. Others help the area heal and be less painful. It can take time to figure out what does and doesn't help. Knowing the types of medicines can be very helpful. I will name the ones I know and what they do, but you and difficult child need to do some research so that you can help her take control of this medical issue.

Prilosec (omeprazole) and Prevacid (lansoprazole) are both proton pump inhibitors and they block the production of stomach acid. Personally I have had good results from both, but prevacid seems to work better. Both are available OTC for about the same price. Antacids are medications like tums, rolaids, mylanta etc.... They help neutralize stomach acid, which can be very helpful. One brand called Gaviscon (there is a generic at Walmart) was always recommended over the others because as you chew it the medication forms sort of a foamy liquid which helps coat the esophagus and stomach. Or that is what I was told. Be careful with antacids. Many contain magnesium which can cause diarrhea if you are sensitive to it or fi you get too much. (Hence why Phillips Milk of Magnesia helps constipation). Some contain calcium which can be good and/or bad. If you need calcium, this will give you some. Sadly, it is usually in a form that is hard for the body to work with and much is filtered out by the body. Kidney stones and other problems can result from long term excessive use of calcium containing antacids, especially if they have no Vit D and/or the person has a Vit D deficiency. H2 blockers like Zantac and Pepcid and Tagamet all block receptors in the stomach from histamine. Histamine triggers the stomach to produce acid, so the H2 blockers keep the histamine away from the receptor.

Gas X is used to treat gas, of course. Normally gas in our bodies is in small air bubbles which can create problems if there is too much. GasX goes in and pops the bubbles to make one larger bubble that can then be released from the body.

Carafate (sucralfate) is a medication that coats the stomach. It will form a barrier between the acid and the stomach in order to promote healing. It can keep the body from absorbing other medications so it must be taken exactly as the directions say (a certain amt of time before or after eating and taking other medications). This is NOT available as a liquid in generic. Tablets are available in generic, which makes a big difference. If you get an rx for tablets, dissolve them in a small amt of liquid before taking. This makes a big difference in how long and well the medicine works. It used to be on the prescribing info but I haven't taken it a whole lot lately. If difficult child is not drastically better in a week, I would push the doctor to rx this. It isn't addictive, gives no high feelings, and can be a HUGE benefit.

Californiablonde

She is taking Prilosec 40 mgs prescription which costs $5. Hoping it helps. She missed school again today for not feeling good and being in pain.